Arguing About America

The week after we got back from California, we had to do a debate about whatever topic it was we were assigned. I had aircraft carriers/American military spending. I was on the affirmative side, which means I agreed with the statement. In this case the statement was something along the lines of In these trying financial times, America shouldn’t be spending so much money on it’s military / aircraft carriers. 

I was the third up, after Harry and Spencer. We weren’t organized, but we still went in way more confident than we came out. I’m supposed to have the video of me talking, but I actually deleted it long ago, but I looked like a thumb in that video. So, I figured this video would be the next best thing.

Long story short: we weren’t very good. The good news was that the other group wasn’t very good either. We were the first of the debates, and we still were iffy about what exactly we were doing. We didn’t realize exactly how organized we had to be for this. Answer: very. We ended up losing, despite our best efforts. It was pretty much a failure. Although, I did learn that when doing a debate, always and I mean always have a giant list of cited facts supporting your cause.

Yeah, that would have helped a lot.