lauren.

Road trippin

We just finished a very long math unit, which, of course, ended in a project. In this unit we learned about linear equations, and how to make them and graph them. This project was about a road trip, and making equations for expenses and money.

The first step of the project was to figure out where you are going. You need to start and end in New York City. Most people decided to go across America, but I decided to make my final destination Toronto, and stop along the way.

My first stop is Allentown, Pennsylvania. I decided to stop here because I thought it was a very pretty city.

My next stop is Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I wanted to stop here because I have never been here, and even thought I’m not actually going on the trip, it would still be fun.

The next stop is Cleveland, Ohio. I really wanted to go to the rock and roll hall of fame!

After that, I head on to Buffalo, New York. I decided to go there because it looks like a fun city to go to.

My final stop is Toronto, Ontario, where I spend 2 days. I wanted to go to the cn tower, and eat at the 360° restaurant!

Now it’s time to head back to New York!

Now that you know where I am going, it’s time to tell you all of the math that is involved in this. To start this off, we were given choices about accommodations and meals, and how much we want to spend on them. I decided to go with the most expensive choices for all of them. Then we had to figure out how much money that would be and create an equation.

My final equation is: y = 900x+600

I did the same thing for the vehicle. I chose the most expensive vehicle, and the one that needed the most gas. Then I also created an equation for those expenses as well.

Mt final equation is: y = 160x+364

After that, I put my information into the equation, which is how many days I am going for, which is 8. After that, I used the equation and graphed my expenses.

The last thing for the project was to choose a brand to sponsor you. We had 3 choices, Coca Cola, Pepsi. Or Snapple. For my trip, I chose to do Coca-Cola, because with that sponsorship I would earn the most amount of money. I also graphed the sponsorships, which is shown below.

That is the end of my road trip project, it’s too bad I’m not actually going on it!

laurenf • February 25, 2018