💫Just My Life💫

~A single smile could change a life~

✨My Tailbone Injury✨

This blog post challenge was “anything you want” so I decided to do a blog post on my tailbone injury because I am happy to share pictures of my x-rays and explain about it. So here is a picture of my tailbone in medical terms it is actually called your coccyx.

So basically I was born with this, lets call it a difference, so my spinal anatomy is different. This is different from Scoliosis, they call my condition a hooked coccyx otherwise known as Coccydynia so instead of my tailbone/coccyx having the same slight curve as the right side of the picture above, mine is the left picture above it has a more corner shaped curve at the end.

We only found out that I had this two years ago, I was watch a movie with a friend minding my own buisness until this sharp paint  came across my tailbone out of nowhere it was so sudden, and we didn’t know what it was at the time we tried to use ice but it just froze up and caused more pain, so next we tried heating it which numbed the pain a little bit. We looked up some easy soft stretches because I was in so much pain I could barely sit, these stretches caused more pain for me to the point where I would occasionally cry, but it made it better speaking now if I didn’t do the stretches I probably would would not be as comfortable sitting for long periods of time.

Currently I can sit for about two to three hours without being in pain. This pain is caused by the last bone on my spine/tailbone pushing up against whatever is above it in the anatomy, wether its muscle tissue or fat, I am not sure what’s there because I haven’t looked at the anatomy there yet.

So basically on Wednesday November the 19th I went to the hospital to get my x-rays taken and meet with a surgeon, the surgeon told me I had three options. The first option was a surgery to get the last verdabrae cut off and there is a risk of a mess up since it is part of my spine I could never walk again. The second option is that they could put a needle into my spine and push steroids so is numbs the pain and I can keep going with my every day life, but that also follows with the same risks as the surgery, possibilities of me never walking again because it’s a spinal procedure. Finally the third option was nothing, I could leave the hospital that day knowing the best choice I had was to do nothing. It may sound stupid but its true, the pain is not crippling or anything so its not the end of the world, yes it is extremely painful but fixing it is not worth loosing the use of my legs.

I am now bringing this to an end, but if you are wondering which option I chose, I chose the third option, to not do anything because of the amount of physical activity I do during a week, the surgery is just to risky.

Lauren • November 22, 2018