Golf: The World’s Greatest Sport

The stigma around golf is strong around today’s pop culture. Golf is one of the most misunderstood sports in today’s world.The PGA tour, golf’s top professional mens tour has changed in quality and demands the very highest of its athletes. Many still believe it is not a sport, not only is golf a sport but it the ultimate test of mental and physical stamina and strength.

I would first like to quash any golf myths that you may still believe prior you divulge into my reasoning behind my statement.

MYTH #1 – Golf is for old men

While true in the fact that the majority of golfers are men above the age 30 many are just casual golfers. Just because older men play beer league hockey doesn’t make hockey a sport for old men and it’s the same with golf. The competitive golf scene of today is populated by athletes of the highest quality.

MYTH #2 – Golf doesn’t require any physical talent

Golf’s world #1 has been occupied by men of outstanding athletic ability for many years now

Golf requires just as much physical talent as any sport. The technique of a golf swing is hardest thing to adjust in my experience and I play multiple sports competitively. The stronger you are the more of an advantage you have on the course. Today the best players in the world hit the ball further than ever.

MYTH #3 – Golf is like walking for 4 hours

Playing in a golf tournament is like sitting through a 4 plus hour exam with 70 timed questions thrown at out through the round. The mental fortitude required to be at your best through the entire round is simply impossible for even the most disciplined minds. You must be able to handle failure and use that to your advantage on your next shot. You must be able to handle the nerves of unexpected circumstances and the worry of choking while it stares you in the face for hours at a time.

Golf is the ultimate test of human athleticism for some very simple reasons

1. During a tournament you must tackle pressure more directly and for longer than in any other sport
  2. You must remain focused 4 hour periods at a time
  3. You must be able to handle failure as well as success
  4. Your body must remain energized for 4 full hours in some extreme conditions of heat, rain, and sun

No other sport has that combination of tests of mental and physical stamina. Golf may not be the test of the strongest but in many ways it a test of those you could sustain under the most pressure.

Is golf a sport? tell me in the comments below