We knew the time was coming…
To make a Star Wars based project! (Yay)

In the past month, the entire PLP civilization has been working on individual projects that revolve around the Star Wars universe. For example, you could focus on the art, or the science, or whatever else you might want to dig a little deeper into.

I decided to delve a little the science, or more specifically, the lightsabers which Jedi and Sith alike use in battle. I didn’t necessarily challenge the science behind the lightsabers, instead I thought that it

would be cool to see if I could design a lightsaber that could theoretically work if it was created by a skilled scientist unlike myself.
The entire explanation of my project is in the YouTube video that I attached to this post, so feel free to take a look at that.

I did have some trouble coming up with a scientifically credible lightsaber. It wasn’t because the ideas themselves were hard to come up with, it’s that I had a LOT of ideas. I would then spend quite a bit of time putting research into my idea and end up being proved wrong by science. I got around this problem by creating an organizational chart The Blue Sky Project

The exhibition itself went pretty well, and the time lapse that I planned on putting on this post turned out to be a slow motion video, so yeah…

I didn’t just learn a lot about the science behind lightsabers and how to create plasma. I also learned about the patience that I needed to sit down and actually think my project out and plan it properly so it turns out well. I also used an important skill I learned in Tech Ed which is how to draft something. I drew out my lightsaber hilt and power pack to certain scales using precise measurement and some math to draw out the proper lengths for my lightsaber hilt and power pack.

image (My first draft)