3 of peas

We just recently fined a fun project in math, where we made a card game. Yes, i did just use the word fun to describe math, but it was a very fun project.

The process
The first step in this project was to make the rules of the game. My original set of rules ended up being too complicated, so I simplified them. Originally I was going to have characters with likes and dislikes on some of the cards, then i would have a deck of cards with pictures on them, and if three of the pictures on the cards in your hand matched your character’s likes or dislikes, you got a point. I don’t expect anyone reading this to understand that game, so I changed it around a bit. Instead of having character cards, I had cards with fruit on them. There are four cards that are bigger than the rest, and those cards have a number in the top right hand corner. Each player gets one of the bigger cards, and uses the five cards in their hand to try to get to the number in the top right hand corner. Once I finalized the rules, I started to design/draw the cards. This definitely took the longest, because my cards are very detailed. I used sketches pro Tayasui Sketches Pro by Tayasui.com to “draw” the pictures on the fruit. When I say draw the pictures on the cards, I mean get a photo off the internet, trace over it, then erase the original photo.

The rules
2-4 players
There are four main cards that are bigger than the rest of the deck. Each player will choose one of those cards at random. Each player will then be dealt five cards each. The number at the top right hand corner of the bigger card is the number that you are trying to get to with the cards in your hand. The objective is to use the least amount of cards possible to get to the number on your card, but you have to use at least two of the cards in your hand. You can use addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponents. You can only use the numbers in your hand, and you can only use each card once. Whoever had the lowest amount of cards each round gets one point. However, if you use exponents to get to the number on your card, you also get a point, even if you use more cards than another player. So if you use exponents, and you used the least amount of cards, you get two points for that round. You can play as many rounds as you like, and the person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

What I would do differently next time
For once, I dont have a ton of stuff to write here. Overall I did really well on this project. I did have critiqued throughout the project, but I fixed those things as I went along. By the end my only critique was to make the cards thicker, and to write out the instructions. I did both, and handed it in by the deadline. There are still a few things that I would do differently next time, like drawing something other than a pea pod. The pea pod was the hardest to draw, and it was the hardest to arrange on the cards. It also didn’t/doesn’t really make sense to have 3 of the cards have fruit on them, and only have one card with a vegetable. I think I would just make all of the cards fruits, instead of half and half (half veggies half fruits).