My Diverse Canada

I’ve lived in Canada for my entire life and I’ve always known that I’m extremely lucky and privileged to live in such a beautiful and prestigious nation. To others, Canada is most well renowned for it’s freedom, equality and independence, but there’s actually so much more to our beloved country that goes untold. From the majestic mountains, beautiful coastlines, and long prairies – to the kind hearted people, I often find myself wondering what’s not to love.

However, ironic as it may seem, after being asked the seemingly simple question “What does Canada mean to you?” I had a surprisingly tough time coming up with an answer. It seems like such an easy question, but I’d never given it much thought. In reality, there is no right or wrong answer, it’s actually a very personal and open ended question, so I had to think long and hard about what Canada truly means to me. I could have always just said, “My Canada is enjoying good old Tim Hortons and watching Hockey Night In Canada,” but I wanted to focus on something deeper, something I could actually connect with in my local community.

Don Cherry and Ron Maclean, hosts of Hockey Night In Canada.

After some contemplation I realized that Canada, to me, isn’t just the beloved country I live in, or some speck on the map, but it’s my home. I honestly believe that Canada is truly the land of the free, and the diverse cultural mosaic that largely makes up our society is what really makes me proud to be Canadian. I know from growing up in a friendly community that Canadians can speak all different languages and have different skin colour, but still be the same. When I look around my small school, Seycove Secondary, almost a third of the students are exchange students from other countries; I’m proud that I get to share the same hallways with people who speak different languages from all around the world.

Seycove Secondary. Home of the Seyhawks

Seycove’s Turtle Island: Showcases the school motto of carrying the world on your shoulders.

Below is my “Canada To Me” video submission. I put it together using iMovie, and it is being entered in a national competition with a grand prize of $5000. The competition is being hosted by CBC to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday and the main purpose of it is to commemorate nationalism and to find out what Canada means to all Canadians.

I decided that I wanted to focus on the theme of diversity because racism has been an on going problem all throughout history (Hitler, KKK, Trump), yet I’ve had the privilege to grow up in a unique time period in a country where diversity is finally being celebrated. I’ve been fortunate enough to experience true freedom where people accept one another for their differences, and where equality and freedom of speech are fundamental human rights. I’ve been able to grow up in a diverse school system, in a diverse community, in one of the most diverse countries in the world, and I’m proud that I can say that.

Canada is truly the land of the free with endless opportunity, and I honestly believe we live in the best country in the world. Canada is not only home to First Nation, English and French Canadians, but to all Canadians. “There is immeasurable beauty in this country, in both the landscape and the people.” – Dianne Green, Canadian Immigrant.

All Canadians have the right to an education, freedom of speech, health care, and clean water. That’s something that over half the world does not have access to. Most of our problems our first world problems. We’re extremely lucky to live in a society of peace and equality; a society that’s more innovative and accepting than ever before; a society that thrives on diversity and uniqueness

0 comments