Hello, and welcome to my blog. Today I will be talking about the final project of grade 9.  For the past few moths, we have been learning all about the great moments in Canada’s history. The final project was to pick one moment and then to make a presentation on how it was the greatest. I think the greatest moment in Canadian history is the Seven Years War.  The seven years war was a war (of course) between Britain and France from 1756 to 1763, it was a war over trade and territory. I picked this event to be the most memorable because without the seven years war Canada’s identity would not be the same. Canada today is a member of the British Commonwealth, and the British Queen is also our head of state.  Our culture, government, language, and laws are based on Britain.  If France had won the 7 years war our culture and language would probably be French, and we might be either a colony of France or have some other formal ties to France.

Canada might not have been bilingual, at least not with English.  Canadian First Nations might have had a very different role in society without the British policy of cultural eradication.  Our county might also have had a very different relationship with the USA; without aggressive British expansion to the West, it might have been easier for America to take over the western half of the country. So for me at least, it was clear that this one event gave us the Canadians the identity we have today. Along with a writeup on why we think the even we chose is the most memorable we had to make a visual component to further explain our topic, I chose to make a keynote.  

During this unit, we did a lot of other different unique projects, one that I am proud of is the Miner character card.

Character card: In this project, we had to make a story about a person living in the Cariboo Goldrush time. This story could be real or made up, but it had to fit into the time zone, and all the information in the card had to be correct. I related my story to Billy Barker and how he lost all of his gold.

I have learned a lot about Canada’s history during the past few months, and even though some of the work took a lot of research and time, I’m happy I got the opportunity to learn about my home country.

See you later!