During the weeks Feb 2 – 12, 2018 the PLP cohort were in beautiful, sunny California learning about disruption. This trip was optional, and a few of my classmates along with me stayed behind in Vancouver; we each had our personal reasons. So, our classmates left, and our normal class of 25+ students magically turned into a class of 5. On the California trip the students had a lot of projects to work on after they visited and learned about each new place, the main two projects being a research reflection book and a podcast. For the five who stayed behind, the projects were adjusted so that we could do them about Seycove. The main topic of the projects was disruption: a disturbance that interrupts an event, activity, or process. In this post I will be talking about the book we had to make and my adventures and time at Seycove while my class was away.

This is a picture my friends and I took at the begging of the week

We started off our LONG week and a half researching about disruption within Seycove. Funnily enough, I think PLP is the disruption within Seycove, a positive disruption to be more specific. This is a snippet from my book about disruption within Seycove:

“So once my classmates and I finished the big idea of disruption it was time to start constructing our books. For the first few days our class time was spent researching local disruptions around Seycove, and then reflecting on our previous WW1 unit and how that was disruptive. I thought drawing visuals for the book was fun, and it distracted me from the amount of work we had to get done by the end of each day. I also enjoyed writing about my days and what I had done at the end of each “chapter”. Some of the activities I took part in were: going downtown with my friends, cooking crepes for a French project, and going down to a beach to research disruptions by the seaside. For the next few days my group and I interviewed people, reflected on the interviews and thoroughly learned about disruption. I learned a lot about the disruptive influence of technology throughout history. One of the hardest parts of the book was researching and writing about High Tech High (a school in San Francisco whose premise is very similar to that of PLP). I had trouble finding facts about the school, and since I did not to visit the school myself, unlike the other PLP students, it took me a long time to write about it.”

My time spent at Seycove with my 4 other classmates was fun, and although I do have some regrets for not going I am happy I had the opportunity to learn about disruption at Seycove. I also improved a lot of important skills while making the book such as my interviewing skills. I also feel like I have got a lot closer with the classmates who stayed behind with me, as I have been working with them to create the books.

This is my book:

Thanks for reading!

.