Scimatics is all about interrogating projects into normal math and science units. Right now the grade 9 class is learning all about calculating the volume and surface area of certain objects. This time our project is a little different… we have to build a monster. This monster is to be built out of common shapes, for example, a square, or a cylinder, and it will be used to represent the evil Villain in a story we will be working on later on in humanities.

The first step to creating my monster was making a design. Once that was finished we had to create the three-dimensional monster. I built mine out of glue, tennis balls, some styrofoam tubes, a dodge ball, duct tape, and some other materials I found around my house. The creation process was pretty easy, I enjoyed building my weird monster with my friends.

Once we had built our monsters we moved on finding the surface area and the volume of them. I found this pretty easy because we had the formulas beforehand, and all we had to do was measure the body parts and put the lengths into the correct places in the equation. It took me about 40 minutes to find all the surface areas and volumes of my monster.