Camp Capilano

In my other post called “SMART Goals” I talked about how last year we focused on visual videos (movies) and this year we are focusing more on the audio component (basically podcasts) Camp Capilano was an Intro to this years podcast projects, and also helped us work on our teamwork skills.

To start off this trip, we where given an hour to complete a challenge. This challenge was based on reality show intro scenes. Basically before hand we were shown 4 different reality intro scenes (the part where they introduce characters) there were lot of patterns throughout the intros. For example they never had any audio, each clip showed the characters interests, hobbies, careers. With that knowledge, like I said before we had an hour to complete an intro of a reality scene, using ten different characters, under 45 seconds and the character hobbies and interests had to be clear.

We had a group of five so each person got to play two characters each. Our ten characters were:

-sporty
-shy
-yoga
-nature lover
-energetic
-foodie
-tech guy
-jock
-flamboyant
-flaky guy

Some of the characters were super easy to represent, like for the nature girl we just made her hug a tree. But some others like foodie or flaky guy were a little harder to represent. Another challenge was the time limit. Although we made it in in time, it helped us improve our team work skills because we had to work together to figure out everybody’s jobs to finish in time. Besides that I think it worked out pretty well, obviously we can always revise but I think for the amount of time we had it went pretty well.

Afterwards we got settled into our dorms, ate lunch and then were given another assignment. The assignment this time was to do the exact same thing but through audio. This was obviously a lot more difficult, but less time consuming. The biggest challenge was trying to represent the characters interests and emotions through audio. But once our group brainstormed for a while, we thought we could represent each character through there tone of voice. This ended up working pretty well! We had some trouble coming up with each characters lines, since each person only got 6 seconds of time. Overall I think the point of this exercise was to learn how to not only represent characters visually but also through audio.

Our final project of the Camp Capilano trip was a little different. We had to create a podcast on identity, and a story that makes your identity. This time the time limit was a little longer, we had the whole night. At first my group decided to talk about story’s we could talk about. We decided to go into the more sad direction by talking about times our family members could have died, and how that changed us as people. It was a hard topic to talk about since we didn’t know which direction we wanted to go. But overall we had good ideas and if we had a little more time it could be improved.

This trip was a great start to the year, because we not only got to do some projects but we also got to improve our team work skills and bond with our class. The trip also helped us get a good idea of the year to come!