#HappyHistoryWeek!

As you may know already we have been learning about Canada’s history, specifically Vancouver’s history. It was time to narrow down our learning to just streets, restaurants, businesses and communities. To do this we were split up into groups, from there we got to choose one of the topics (streets, businesses, communities).

Once we chose our topic we were given the assignment. For the next week we were going to be filling our brains with the names of our places, where and who they came from and how all of it happened. My group decided to research Robson Street. This was a good choice because Robson has lots of history behind it, old videos and sources. We then got criteria for the project, afterwards it was time to start the project!

The first step to this process was creating an engaging, intriguing script. This year, and a bit of last year, we learned about citation and giving credit to creators. So obviously every bit of information we got, we had to credit the source in MLA format (this also applies to photos and videos). This podcast we decided to go for more of an informative one, but we also wanted to add some personality. Once the script was finished- and this didn’t take long because it was a two-minute max video- we started to put the video together. We also really wanted to make sure we had lots of videos of back then and now, so the class could compare. Here’s the first draft!

So for the beginning we used iPad screen recording to zoom into Robson Street from google maps. All the old videos we found in YouTube, as well as the music! To put all the videos and music together we used iMovie, but for the flashing words we used explain everything. The last part was recording everything, we did this in a new app called Ferrite (which I love). We watched all the videos in class the next day, and gave critique. Ours was overall pretty good, except some of the words were flashing a little to slow, and the beginning of each word didn’t have to be capitalized. Here’s the final draft!

Overall I’m really proud of this project! I think the main reason all this worked out was because it had a personal touch. I also felt like since I’ve actually been to Robson Street it helped a lot to get a grasp of how its changed since the early 90s. I do think that although the video turned there’s always room for improvement! The one thing I think I can improve on, is my pronunciation and enthusiasm. This was overall a very fun project, and I learned a bit more about the history of Vancouver!

Oh and by the way, Happy History Week!