How Safe Is Too Safe?

As you know from my many other blog posts we started a health and career unit. This time around we learned about workplace safety, and how safe is to safe. We actually talked about some statistics in class about work place injuries…

•On average, 27 young workers are injured every day in B.C.
•On average, 7 young workers are permanently disabled each week 
in B.C.
•Young males, in particular, face a 48 percent higher risk of injury 
than the overall working population.
Then we watched some videos with scenarios of accidents that could happen in your career. Along with that we answered some questions about how we think it happened, how to avoid it and also who caused the accident. I honestly didn’t even think about those things actually happening until I watched those videos, I also couldn’t even believe the statistics of the accidents that happen every week. That kind of proves that people don’t actually think about these things or think they even happen until they’re exposed to you.

In the end the information was actually really important. And it’s probably a good idea to do some more research on this topic before you begin a new job.

The next thing we learned about kind of contradicted what we had just learned, it was about being too safe. We watched a TED talks about child safety, when i think back to when I was younger i realized that I lived my life just safe enough. What I mean by that is my mom and dad always kept me safe but they wouldn’t make me wear things like elbow pads or shoulder pads when I went biking, or put some type of leash on me when i went skiing. I think that what my mom and dad did was the perfect balance of safety, because obviously you want to have fun when you grow up and not worry about bruising you knee when you go biking but you also want to be safe enough.

I also read somewhere that the more things you are exposed to when you are younger, the more things you’ll be immune to when you are older. For example if you are exposed to certain bacteria when your older it could help you feel less sick when you get the flu. So I guess sometimes being too safe can be a little unsafe!