Poetic Laurier

Welcome to blog post 1 of the year, I’m sorry it’s late (good way to start the year I know)

please7e11

I have decided to do something out of comfort zone today.

Since reading some of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (prologue) in Lit12 I have found a love for rhyming scheme stories / poems. I enjoy the sarcastic, naive and ironic tone of the Chaucer writes with, I don’t enjoy dark and deep felt poems at all.

.chaucer_ellesmere

I have decided to write a 5 stanza poem in the rhyming scheme of AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD,EEE

My goal was to summarize Laurier’s time in power and his exit within a poem. Below is my best efforts.

There once was a man named Laurier
Who was a leader for many a day
But oh no he did not get to stay.

Laurier was supposed to be a sure fit
He could work his words and outwit
And after fifteen years he didn’t quit

But

The French wanted him to stop slacking
And the English wanted naval backing
He tried to barging but his compromise was lacking.

So along came an awaited Election Day
Where a man named Borden would face Laurier
And after four terms Laurier gave way.

The man named Borden came to power
He grew the Conservative party like a flower
And as the Great War started he was not one to cower.

[Here are my Resources #1 (Laurier) #2 (Borden) #3 (Laurier)]

After writing this I can say that it was harder then I expected. It was also quite fun and enjoyable. I hope to do more writing like this in the future and want to expand my knowledge of English literature.

Writing this poem was harder than I expected because of the combination of words, syllables need to be just right for the poem to not sound really goofy. It amazes me what poets do when creating poverty, I can really see the margin between good poetry and great poetry after giving it a try.

A major thing that I learned while working on this blog post was about how Borden went about WW1. Borden came into leadership of Canada before World War I and he was not one to shy away from conflict and try to minimize impact like Laurier during the Boer War. Borden transformed Canada into a waring vessel. Over half a million volunteers registered to fight for Canada and after he saw the human supplies start to dry up he started to conscript people into the war.