4th weekly post

Welcome to weekly blog post number 4, where I have the opportunity to share out what I thought was really interesting during the week and also how my podcasts series is going. Now during this week things really sped up in terms of work now I am in the process of creating the very first episode of The Sport in Everything. Exciting stuff, so lets go straight into it.

As I mentioned before the podcast is coming a long nicely. During the week however I though I would suffocate under all the work ( it really wasn’t that bad). The thing that changed was the time in between the milestones, which really means the time we had to write the script and read it, to the time we had to have our final script done and read. I don’t know about others but I did feel a tad bit rushed during this process, and as someone who as written a script once or twice it was hard to produce a hight quality one in a single day. 

Although we were pushed along quite quickly in the last few days I think it was all for the better because right now we have a week to finish the podcast, which I think is quite doable. When I read my script I basically said everything that would be part of the podcast and I explained them as if I was talking to an audience. This does mean I will have to go back and redo some of the recordings but overall I think I have a major part almost complete. More on this next week and by then I will have interviewed some people in preparation for the podcast.

now onto something I found interesting this week. When I was recording myself reading through both the rough draft script and the final version I realized how odd my voice sounded, and it wasn’t just me. Other would also say the same things about their voice and how they “hated it”. Even our teacher Mr. Hughes said “ I hate my voice, you are so lucky you don’t have to listen to my voice, well I mean you do but not the way I listen to my voice”. This lead me to wonder why do people hate the sounds of their own voice?

Well I did some digging and found out some very interesting things about why your own voice “sounds” bad on recordings and things like that. According to Live Science  whatever you hear in a recording or in a video of yourself, well that is what you actually sound like, however it might seem different from how you hear yourself because of your ossicles. 

Ossicles are three bones in the middle of your ear, and one way for you to process sounds around you. What happens is the eardrum vibrates against these bones and transmits that to the cochlea ( in your inner ear) which then transforms the sounds into electrical energy, and then your brain can process it.

your ossicles vibrate whenever you encounter a vibration in the air but they vibrate a bit more whenever you talk so no matter what your own voice will sound weird because not only is the ossicles messing with the sound a bit, but also because of how close your mouth is to your ears making the sound louder.

This is just one way, but in the video below they show some other things that can alter what your voice sounds like.

In conclusion the reason why Mr.Hughes hates his voice is because he is always hearing an adapted version of his voice because of small interferences when he speaks.

That’s what I found really interesting this week, I know many people are complaining about this in their rough recordings of their script and I hope this information is helpful to them.

That’s all for now