Correlation vs causation

In this project we had to find out the difference between correlation and causation. To do this we made some simple steps. We also wanted to find some correlations between some subjects to get a better understanding of how they work.

we started by making a ten question survey that we would get results to correlate from. Our yen questions were:

• how much sleep do you get per night 
  • How tall are you
  • How many hours of exercise do you get per week
  • How many injuries do you get per year 
  • How much have you grown in the past year 
  • On a scale of 1 to 10 how prone are you to injuries 
  • How many days do you exercise per week 
  • How long does it take for you to get to sleep
  • On a scale of 1 to 10 how athletic would say you are 
  • what grade are you in

Using these questions we would use the results to find correlations between any of them.

To find if there were any correlations we used a scatter chart template to record the results of two questions that were on our survey, then the chart takes the numbers and puts them on the scatter plot to show if there is any correlation.

We tested three different correlations, one of them had no correlation which was between the sleep you get and the amount you have grown in the past year

Our second correlation was between how prone you are to injuries and how many injuries you get

and our third was between exercise you get per week and how much you’ve grown in the past year

By finding these correlations we learned a lot of interesting things like making surveys, calculating results, and finding how different things happen to relate. After doing this project I found that the main difference between correlation and causation is that causation is when one thing equals another and correlation is how they relate.

Core competencies 

Planing and conducting:

I think I showed this well because I found two clear correlations that were between questions that were on my survey and I showed them clearly in my presentation along with graphs showing the numbers.

Communicating and representing:

I think I had a clear well made presentation with a good verity of both verbal information with supporting images and text on the presentation which was on the screen. I also showed a logical explanation and examples of both correlation and causation.

Applying and innovating:

I think me and my partner used class time efficiently and effectively to give the best presentation and clear explained information about the subject.