Filming for the Exhibition

I started the last project of the year after learning a lot about filming techniques during the vibrant video project prior to this one. The goal was to make my first film in the form of a documentary about a topic that I liked. At the start it sounded interesting and it stayed interesting for the most of the filming process. At the start I found that the project may have benefited from being a group project as I found getting the right camera angles and overall the production to be kinda difficult on my own. However I was able to get help from friends and family which was very useful.

A part of the documentary that was also required to be added was at least one interview to compliment your ideas and films theme/topic. The topic that I had chosen was “hobbies” and for the interviews I was going to do my Dad, Brother, and my dads friend who is very much into tiki things and has a interesting collection of tiki mugs, he also makes his own and makes a fair amount of cash from selling them online. However due to scheduling issues I was unable to interview him about his hobby. However I did manage to interview my Dad who is into guitars and plays in a band

I found it interesting to interview him because even though I know a fair amount about what he does with his music there were some interesting behind the scenes info and info about what its like when he records with the band.

I also interviewed my brother who collects nerf guns then modify them with new and better parts made by off brands the he takes them and goes to battles with a group of other people with a similar interest. He likes to use off brand parts from amazon and he also 3D prints parts that are necessary to his modification.

I found him quite fun to interview because I used to collect a few nerf guns however I just ended up giving most of them to him after I lost interest early on.

During the filming process I was surprised at how useful and important B-roll is and how it made the whole film seem smother and made the transitions calm and fit well.

The main purpose of making the films were to put them into the spring exhibition which is an annual event in PLP made to show parts of our learning to an audience. This year we were presenting our documentary’s (you can find mine here) since I am in grade 9 I figured that I would be doing the exhibition surrounded by other grade 9s however we also had to integrate into our presentations with the grade 8s. In the room that I was presenting in I was stationed right at the start handing out cookies and beverages to anyone who would like them, I was happy because I made a lot of the cookies and many of the reviews I got were good. My biggest issue was people trying to steal extra cookies while I wasn’t looking. I also had my documentary as well as the rest of my classes documentary’s playing on a projector loop for the guests to watch I was overall happy with the exhibition as it was well laid out and split into 5 parts, the opening, launch, tech, and conclusion after those parts you went to the gym to look at what the grade 10 – 12s were doing. I didn’t do much but my work was still being presented els where. For me the main experience was the set up as I was able to see what went into all the other areas even if I wasn’t a part of them. At the very start before presenting we celebrated with pizza and drinks which was very fun. Overall I prefer the winter exhibition as it was a bit more strait forward and interactive but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy myself during this one.