What is Identity? What is my Identity?

What is my understanding of identity.

Identity can be described different ways but the way I understand it is that identity is the way people describe themselves or categorize themselves. People identify themselves differently. For example categories, heritage, friends and family, locations, and etc.

How I identify myself.

I identify myself with categories, heritage and location. The way I categorize myself is by the activities I do or what I’m interested in. I define myself as a dancer, a Frisbee player, creative, Harry Potter fan, Disney fan. I can also identify myself with my heritage, where I’m from and where my family is from, my roots. I am a Canadian because I both live here and was born here, I’m also Irish, Scottish, and Ukrainien. Those are the main ones I know of. Many people define others by where they or there family are from and sometimes it is defined in a rude way. I mostly identify myself with my location, if I grew up somewhere else it may have effected me differently. By living in a community and in a place where nature shines and isn’t overpowered to much by buildings and new developments I am different than someone who grows up in a busy city with less nature and doesn’t spend time outdoors a lot. I find that living in a place where there is so much nature has helped me identify myself and to feel more free to be who I want to be. A way that helps me have deep thoughts is to go for a nice walk in the woods or if I’m at my cabin I could go for a paddle or a swim. I find location really helps us discover who we are and impacts who we are.

so far during this project we have done many different assignments were we learn through the thought of identity. Here are some examples:

My name writing exercise:

For this project we explored identity in the form of our names, while writing this assignment I learned many new things about how my name is connected to my family and my Scottish heritage. I discovered new branches of my large extended family tree and learned names I never knew.

My Name Project

The second assignment I have learned more about identity from was our bio-poem. During this assignment I had to really think about me and what I think of as my identity and how I feel about certain things differently than others.

My Bio-poem

Past, future, present. These are great things to think and reflect on if learning about identity. The third assignment that I think represents where I learned and reflected on most for learning about identity. We wrote a letter to ourselfs in the future, I was happy to do this because I have always wanted to write a letter to my future self but I have never had the time. I think that writing this in september was perfect timing because I had so many questions about all the chaos going on right now.

Letter To My Future Self

I have really enjoyed learning about identity and my identity and hope to learn more throughout this year.

Creative Communicator How might I use technology to create and communicate? I can communicate clearly and express myself creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to my goals.