Posted in Uncategorized

mPOL who?!

Hello! This my is mom, Shannon Cheung

PoL Declaration

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

It’s The End of The World as we know it 🌎💣

This was our first “project”. Our goal was to make a song using the song It’s the “End of the world as we know it’s instrumentals” and beats and make the lyrics about our transition from Elementary school to High School.  My group was Julia and Sam. Here’s our final Music Video!

The Book of the Lion📖🦁

This book that we had to read for humanities was called the Book of the Lion. It was quite honestly one of the worst books I’ve ever read. It was so boring and the theme didn’t call to me. It was about the Crusades and the main character was a guy who fought in the Crusades named Edmund. This book was so sexist and boring it’s everything a book SHOULDN’T BE.

Working with Words🏋️🔤

This project was really hard because we had to write poems about our worldview, like haikus, metaphorical poems, simile poems and etc. I hate writing poems because I like expressing myself in different ways. After we finished all our poems we made a digital book using Book Creator. The only thing I liked was the customization of the book because we got to choose the fonts, and colours of your book.

Winter Exhibition❄️🗻

This was by far my favourite project of the semester. The goal was to make a triptych, which is a 3 piece picture. We had to do 3 scenes to show our knowledge of Medieval, Renaissance, and Contemporary history. For the medieval scene. My group was pretty good, and I got closer with my friends. I think our triptych was amazing and I was so proud of everything we did.

My Growth as a Learner📈🤓

I think I definitely grew as a learner, because at the beginning of the year I used to not give my projects my all, but now I put as much work into my projects as I can. I also used to be very against projects by myself

Going to tutorial

I think to grow as a learner a lot, I need to go to tutorial more often to catch up on work that I’m behind on, especially if I missed a few days. Tutorial is super important because you need to catch up on work that you have missed, or if you just fell behind.

Science 

For science this semester, we had Ms. Kadi who is such an amazing teacher! She teaches well, while also being kind and making the class have a fun and safe environment. She always makes every single class fun and entertaining, while still being educational. The first project was to make a video game to show our knowledge of the Kinetic Molecular Theory. I chose to do a fun task game, you can check the game and how I made it here. Now we are learning about cells and we get to use microscopes to see organisms!

Humanities

We had a ton of teachers for Humanities so I’ll name them all. Right now we have Ms. McWilliam who is a lot of fun and is really interesting to listen to. We had Ms. Madsen who is so funny and amazing and she taught really well. Next we had Ms. Willemse who was amazing at teaching and makes the class laugh a lot. Humanities is probably the hardest PLP class, and the reason why I hate being sick, because one class, and you’ve fallen behind. Still the projects were still really fun!

Maker!

This was one of my favourite PLP classes (we only have 3) but it was still really fun. Mr Harris taught us how to use Keynote and we made super cool things like a custom Nike shoe, and other stuff! 

Posted in Uncategorized

Ar Matey!

PLP is practically teaching you how to do every single job. What now?! Being an author of course! 

Mr Hughes came in to teach us all about using AR Makr, which was the app we would use to make our story come to life! I’ll explain: it uses your camera and your images you’ve drawn and you can place your images anywhere in your room! It was actually pretty cool to use!

Now we had to complete the Story Mountain sheet, with the Rising Action, Climax, and etc. Here’s mine

We had to do a lot of work on Causes and Consequences. Here’s my chart that we had to fill out.

Pirate Paks!

The best part of this project was that we got pirate paks from white spot! The entire class was just eating and playing Kahoot! It was definitely the best humanities class we had. I wasn’t here on Monday, and that’s when they ordered at school, but Madeline wasn’t here, and so she said I could have hers. I paid her back obviously, but I was so happy, because I was going to be starving!

Next thing, we started to draw. I wanted Mijuvious to look like a snotty blonde (not all blondes are snotty, but in the Age of Exploration most rich people had blonde hair) and for Zestiandal to have brown hair. Next I searched on Google for a man in a suit and a man in a farmer outfit, and I traced and coloured. Done! Next up, the items. I wanted a match pack, a hammer and a wooden boat originally, but when I started to place my items, I realized how many more items I would need. Once that was all done, I drew a few more things and now it’s time to assemble!

I put everything in AR Makr, then filmed, and then I put it into CapCut to crop some parts and add my voiceover. Once everything was completed, I could finally breathe! Here’s the story!

Posted in Uncategorized

Destination? Imagination!

Have you ever heard of Destination Imagination? It’s a big thing in PLP, that the teachers really hype up! Well I have just finished the regionals round of Destination imagination and I felt like I was going to die!

My reflection

To start Destination Imagination was kind of underwhelming because I thought it would be just… better. The teachers hyped it up a lot and it what kind of sad because I thought it would be more crazy. I think provincials will be a lot more interesting because there are more schools that will be there to compete with. My group wants to redo our entire script but I think it will be very hard to do that. Our rose was that our props actually came together really well. There was some humour in our play which made the audience laugh. I think Julia and Evelyn did a lot not work and rarely got distracted, and they also brought our entire thing together, so I give them props for that. 

I left Saturday feeling so tired. People say, oh it was only at 8 minute performance, not a lot of time! But they don’t know how long we had to stay at school, bored and planning more. I want to make our performance way better and I’m going to work even more hard to get it done.

Some thorns were that a few hours before we preformed, someone knocked down our cloud so it was broken. It took a lot of improvisation but we were able to get our cloud working, but as soon as we finished preforming, it fell down, so now we are going to have to either make the entire thing again, or hot glue the thing, which made be really really mad at that person, even though I didn’t show it. 

Costumes, Costumes, Costumes

We left this very last minute, and came with consequences. Our costumes looked really sloppy, and for Julia, Evelyn, and Sam, they had to pin a pillow case to their white t-shirts, which looked really weird. I had a pretty good costume, since Julia had a gladiator costume from a Halloween costume. Ian bought a costume the day before the performance and it was all chaos. After our preformance, we couldn’t even leave. I was starving cause I didn’t think it would be that long, but

luckily Elsa gave me ramen to eat and

we all played Roblox like one big happy family. We also are very proud of our props, as we spent several days on them.

Posted in Uncategorized

Player 1, Get Ready!

This project was really fun. It combined our knowledge of the kinetic molecular theory and our love of games into a science game! I used to really love those games where you find the items around the room around and they want to use that in my game. I also wanted to incorporate the states of matter into my game. 

The website we used was *Scratch, a coding website that was very easy for beginners. A few things I didn’t like were how often games would glitch and many of my friends complained of that as well. One of my friends even had hers deleted and had to restart. It’s a good one for beginners, just watch out for the glitches, and be prepared if it deletes. 3.5 stars!

I started off by grabbing a table off of Google that was if course, it’s Creative Commons licensed. I grabbed an ice cube, and a flask of water and we were set with our main ingredients. Once that was done I got a bowl image, and wanted to make it so that when you tap it, your task you appear. Luckily for me it was that hard to figure out since using Scratch is so easy. I’m not going to talk over the entire process, but it was a tedious one for sure.

Testing other people’s games!

One persons game that everyone wanted to try was Eloise’s! Hers was kind of like geometry dash, except it’s just jumping over one thing and it keeps coming, but it was really, hard, and I still haven’t beaten it yet… the link to her blog is here so you can try to beat it too!

How to play!

My game is the simplest thing before Kraft Mac N Cheese. You start off with a task, turning ice cubes into steam! Grab the ice cube and out it into your bag, then press the arrow to head over to the science lab! Fun fact, the photo was taken in my actual science classroom! Grab a pot, and drag it to your bag as well! Then you go to the stove and turn it on. Then you at the ice cube and click and BAM! STEAM!!!

This was one of best PLP projects I’ve done! It made learning super fun and I would definitely recommend to other classes! 8.9/10!

Posted in Uncategorized

Who thought we were poets and we didn’t even know it!

Poems… we have what you call a hate-hate relationship. I was absolutely dreading this project as Ms Willemse was talking about presenting it at a coffee house?! I’m not ready to take my career as a poet that far yet!

Becoming an author!

Ms Willemse had explained that our next project would be about poetry. As expected, almost the entire class groaned, including me! I hated poetry and I thought it was a waste of time. Until this project. I realized how much work goes into poetry! From designing a book, to making sure each poem is fulled with expression and meaning, I now respect poets! 

First thing we did was make our poems. The types of poems we did were similes, metaphors, haikus, sound poems, found poems, experiences poems and our Self Portrait poem. Keep reading t’il the end because I have a link to my eBook where you can read my poems!

Next we make an about me video for our eBook, to give the readers an idea of what kind of person you are and what you like! I put in my favourite colours, foods and what sport I play. 

I’m not gonna keep this post too long because I need room for my book, so I’m gonna finish quick.

The last things we did were adding voice overs, and customizing our eBooks to our likings. I chose to go for this bubblegum coloured background and a boho style cover. 

I honestly liked this project a lot! It made me grow as a writer to try different types of writing, and I’m excited to experiment with different writing styles!

My eBook!

Posted in Uncategorized

Winter Exhibition Chaos!

The teachers have been hyping us up ALL YEAR FOR THIS! What was it you might be thinking? A tryptic! “And what is that?!” Read more to find out!

What In The World Is A Triptych?!

Before I explain what this big event was, you need to know what a triptych and a tableau is. “What? There’s another one?!” Yup, but don’t worry, it’s easy to understand! A triptych is a painting of 3 images side by side, the most important one being bigger and in the middle. A tableau is where people pose as an image or painting! You might have seen that tableau scene in Modern Family. Now that you have your vocabulary, let’s get to the real project!

The Good Old Days!

When your parents say, “Back in my day” they probably mean around the 90’s, but we went WAYYYYY FURTHER BACK. As in Medieval times. Yeah, the Dark Ages. We also visited the Renaissance times and back to our current timeline. 

Our Group’s Triptych

To get a better sense of what we did in this project, here’s a photo of our triptych. It looks pretty good doesn’t it? Well it’s kind of hard to see, but read til the end to see our final tableau!

Renaissance Paragraph Explaining My Art

Learning about the Renaissance helps me reflect on how lucky we are that we now have the opportunity to learn.
In my artwork I show how we learned so much from things. I added in a man writing down something in a book. We were able to learn so much from the past from people writing down things that happened during their times. In the Renaissance times, Christians would read their bibles and believed in what happened during that time. All because of some people deciding to write about the god that they believed in, over 2 billion people read about it and converted to Christianity. We learn recipes from cookbooks, and we learn about gardening from gardening books.
I decided to add a mechanical clock to my artwork for time, as it was important in day to day life in Renaissance times, and still to this day. I use a clock every day as I use it so I know when to go to bed, when to get up, and when I should leave for school. The people in the Renaissance always depended on clocks for their schedules, and the mechanical clock being invented made it a quite bit easier. Additionally, they didn’t have to use sundials anymore, because sundials couldn’t be used at night, or on rainy days.

For economy I added a picture of 2 people counting up money. I thought this would be a good choice because that picture could relate to the government. They are kind of like tax collectors, greedy for money, and they take people’s hard earned money. I think that these people were really mean and horrible people, because these people didn’t deserve to get their money taken.The government takes our money for taxes, but it’s to support the government.

Conclusion: Our artworks helped us understand Renaissance worldview because it showed allthe things that happened during the Renaissance, and that has helped us

Who Were They Again…?

To break everything down simply, for the first tableau, I was speaking to the audience and explaining the piece. For Renaissance times, I was an indulgence seller. For the third one, modern, I was a supermarket cashier. Elsa was a peasant giving taxes, a peasant buying indulgences, and a person buying things from the store. Griffin was a king, and for the second and third one, he went inside a prop that me Elsa and Eloise made, kind of like one of those Photo Booth things where you stick your head in the frame! Daniel was an apprentice to Isaac, then was praying with Isaac to the Catholic church, and in modern he was someone using Wikipedia. Isaac was a master to Danny, and praying to the church, then was speaking in modern time. Eloise was a tax collector, speaking in Renaissance and a scientist.

Props-and costumes!

In order to make a good tableaux, we of course, needed costumes! For our first one, the medieval one, we needed a king. Griffin (of course) stepped up for the role of a king. He need a weapon of some sort, such as a spear! He also needed a costume fit for a king. He brought in a king robe and a crown! I’m not going to go into that much detail or you would be reading for 30 minutes, but we had a medieval church in the background. I wore an apron when I was the cashier. Elsa wore normal peasant looking clothes, but changed in modern. Eloise wore normal clothes, but then changed in a lab coat. Danny and Isaac both wore medieval looking clothes, and then Danny changed to modern clothing. Me Elsa and Eloise wanted to get our team ahead in the game, so we stayed up late at Elsa’s house making props. We made the Catholic Church/Apple HQ, the grocery conveyer belt, the indulgence sign, the sundial, and other smaller things. 

How Our Project Turned Out!

Here are some photos of the finished results on the day of the exhibition!

I actually enjoyed doing this project a lot because it gave us a lot of freedom and creativity to do what came to our brains! I’m super excited for the spring exhibition!

Posted in Maker

Picasso, Move Along!

I became a famous artist for a few days… here’s how. Well, not FAMOUS, but the artist part is true! In Maker 8 with Ms Kadi, we had a drawing week! I was STOKED because I love drawing! The downside though, we had to use Sketches Pro. It wasn’t that bad though. I pushed through.  Anyways, rate it out of 678 in the comments! I want to know all of your opinions! Give me critique and what you liked!

Word Art

First thing was our word art. I wasn’t sure what to do as my word, because doing my name would be too basic. My friend then suggested to do Taylor Swift and all her eras. I thought this would be pretty fun so I tried it! It looks great! And before you say “What about her debut era?!” Blah blah blah. ITS IN THE BIG TITLE! Duh. Anyways if you want a bit of boring detail, my favourite song from each is, Debut: Our Song, Fearless: Mr Perfectly Fine TVFTV, Speak Now: Back to December, Red: All Too Well TMVTVFTV, 1989, Now That We Don’t Talk TVFTV, Reputation: Getaway Car, Lover: Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince, Folklore: August, Evermore: Champagne Problems, Midnights: You’re on your Own Kid. Okay that’s enough. Anyways yeah MOVING ON!

ROBOT! 

So now we get to do a robot! Not gonna go in to the details that much cuz I didn’t really like my final result but anyways my robot is Taylor Swift! See the theme here… yeah. Anyways she’s cute I guess but I think I could have done better.

Emoji!

OKAY OKAY. I MADE A TAYLOR SWIFT EMOJI, YOU CAUGHT ME. But she looks really bad. As in, REALLY BAD. So I’m not saying much on here about that.

Logo

Okay, this one was MY FAVOURITE ONE. We made logos for our make believe company, and mine was called Aesthetic Room Decor (for silly gooses). All you non swifties (who haven’t already left) are probably having a victory party right now. BUT-I’m going to need your full attention to explain this. We used digital art to create a logo for a company we would create. I’ve been wanting to make my room cleaner and more aesthetic, and I thought this would be the perfect place to shop for that (even though it’s not real). Our tagline is “Less boringo, and more bazingo.” Its genius right! Anyways, I used a spark brush to make the vines sparkle, kind of like these fairy light vines I’ve been wanting.

Posted in Humanities

Kings & Queens, make way for me!

Have you ever wondered what you would look like in a medieval painting?
Well I never have, but here we are! For our 2nd Humanities/Maker project, we started a new project called Power play or how it started. Accompanying the cool name, we read a book! The Book Of The Lion by Micheal Cadnum. I hate to say it, but the book was really bad. It helped me understand medieval worldview better, but the plot line wasn’t very good. It was a battle to finish the book, and after it was done I felt so accomplished.

Answering our Driving Question

To answer our driving question, our artwork helps us understand the medieval worldviews and how my worldview would have been if I had lived in the medieval times. Knowing about that matters to me because it makes me feel grateful for the life I have right now.

Explaining My Artwork

I put myself in a picture of Anne Boleyn. My friend recommended her because she watched the musical SIX, and really liked it. Anne was the 2 wife of King Henry VIII, and was a major impact on the churches of England, and supported Henry with his religious policies. Since she gets beheaded later, I added a person holding an axe next to her. We created it using the app SuperImposeX, but it’s a paid app, so don’t get your hopes up. Just kidding! Well no not about the paid part, that’s real.

My Supporting Ideas In My Art
Time: In my drawing I have a  medieval clock because it was very important in the medieval times and also in these times because we have to know when we are supposed to get somewhere such as school! School is important to my worldview because being a proficient learner is what I aim for. 

Economy : I put a money bubble above me I wanted it to look like money was the only thing on my mind. In my worldview, money is also really important because it’s used for everything, and without it, I wouldn’t be able to have these privileges.

Society : To represent society I added a crown on the king trying to behead me because in medieval worldview, a crown was worn by royals, in my worldview crowns are also important because we also have our own Kings and Queens like King Charles, Queen Elizabeth, and Princess Diana. They all wore crowns to represent their royal status, and pass their crowns on to the next generation

Book of the Lion

To help us understand medieval worldview better we had to read a book. A very VERY boring book. This was like one of the worst books I’ve ever read if I’m being honest (Ms Willemse don’t come for me). The storyline was boring and just not very exciting to read. The one upside- it did help me understand medieval worldview better, so let’s give it a round of applause. Okay, maybe not THAT much. Golf claps! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼. Okay that’s enough, it really doesn’t deserve that much praise. Anyways, if you REALLY WANT TO READ IT (don’t say I didn’t warn you) the link for the book is here (if you know, you know) If I had to rate it out of ten (ten being my favourite book) I would give it a 3. It was that bad.

Leader Tribute

For this assignment that was part of this project, we had to create a tribute to a historically significant leader that made a big impact to the world. We read about Chinggis Khan, Eleanor of Aquataine, and Salah Aldin. My group, Daniel, Oliver and me chose Chinggis Khan. He was a blood thirsty man, but he also united countries together. He also created the yams, which is a Mongolian mailing system. We decided to do a drawing, as we only had 30 minutes to create a tribute. I drew him with a peace sign in his hand, and the world in the other. It symbolized that he contributed to world peace. Daniel and Oliver created a script for us to use when presenting.

Conclusion:Although this project was fun and all, the book made the project less fun, and more boring. Turning myself into a drawing was the project-saver. Are you taking notes yet Ms Willemse??? Anyways, I would give this project a solid 6/10. TEOTWAWKI(The End Of The World As We Know It) was like a 9/10.  

Posted in Maker

It’s The End Of My Life As I Know It!!

HEY YOU! Yeah you! It’s the end of the world! Well the end of MY world. Kind of. A project. For Humanities. So no zombies, bombs, that stuff (unfortunately) But I started high school! Isn’t that crazy? I used to be a little baby and now I’m in HIGH SCHOOL?! Life goes by too fast😔. Anyways BACK TO THE PROJECT. For my first ever humanities project, we had to write a song! Well, write lyrics that are based off a song. Your parents might know it, or if you’re in PLP you might know. It’s the end of the world as we know it by R.E.M. And no, not the beauty line by Ariana Grande.

The Making of the lyrics

The first part to make our song was to make up our lyrics. The lyrics had to be in beat with the song and be related to our transition from elementary to high school. I found making these lyrics really hard. Here’s a picture of my original lyrics! Yes, I know VERY cringey, but trust me, listen to it a few times and it becomes pretty catchy! I still have it in my head.

The Outsiders

In order to learn about worldview we read this book called the outsiders. The main character is a boy named Ponyboy (I guess his parents didn’t like him) and his brothers, Sodapop and Dally. They’re parents died in a fire so now they live on their own as greasers. They have to deal with socs who are kind of like rich bullies. I would give this book a 6.5/10. It wasn’t very good but it did help with worldview. 

The Process of the song!

Everyone thought that we were doing this project solo but Ms Willemse had some tricks up sleeve. We were going to do it in groups! Unfortunately we didn’t get to pick them, but I got a good group. I was with Julia and Sam. You can check their blogs here!

>>>Julia

>>>Sam

We worked so hard on this project so read until the end to watch our video! 

Equal share or Not Fair?

The main reason I think our group was good was because nobody tried to boss each other around, take over the project, etc. We had to draw a participation pie chart for how much work people did. I gave me and Sam 30% each because we did a lot of work, but we got distracted a lot. I gave Julia 40% because she made the entire music video. 

Lights, Camera, Action!

Recording the song was definitely the most tedious part of the project. It took us a whole week to get the recording some-what upload-able. Our voices didn’t really match each others, Julia’s was high, Sam’s was deep and mine was just outright BAD. After many tries, snacks and laughs, we finally got it. After we finished recording we kind of just goofed around for a few minutes. 

It’s the end of this post as we know it!

I’m afraid this post has come to a close. But have no fear, more posts will appear! Okay, that enough of this rhyming. If you want to watch the music video click at the bottom of the post. I loved this project so much and I hope that the projects in the future continue to be this fun!