Alike In Dignity – TWIL January 11-22: What Do Dreams Mean?

TWIL: What Do Dreams Mean?

I don’t necessarily think that dreams foretell the future, but I do still believe they have meaning. Dreams come from you’re subconscious thoughts, so I think they can tell you what’s going on deep down in mind. In my opinion dreams can represent unconscious desires or wishes, or further show desires you’re already aware of. There are also other kinds of dreams, like nightmares and lucid dreams. Nightmares stem from stress, fears, illness, or the use of drugs and medication. Lucid dreams are dreams that you can, in some way, control. In these dreams the person is usually aware they’re dreaming and this makes it so they can control what happens to some extent.

There has been research on dreams, especially more recently, but because dreams can be very hard to study in a laboratory setting, there’s a lot we still don’t know. New technology may help us understand dreams better in the future. When I did my own research I found some common theories about dreams. The most common is that dreams represent unconscious desires, which I believe as stated earlier. The other common theory is that dreams are for information processing of our day, that it’s just the next stage of our mind so that it can renew itself for the next day. I believe this could be possible, but I think the other theory is more likely.

While I don’t agree with Romeo or Mercutio, I can see where their coming from. I think Romeo wants to believe in something that gives him hope and purpose, while Mercutio may be scared of the possibility of dreams having meaning, or foretelling his future.

Sources

Cherry, Kendra. “Experts Weigh in With 7 Theories About Why People Dream.” Verywell Mind, Verywell Mind, 21 June 2019, www.verywellmind.com/why-do-we-dream-top-dream-theories-2795931.

Nichols, Hannah. “Dreams: Causes, Types, Meaning, What They Are, and More.” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 28 June 2018, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284378.php.