Feminism, Thoughts?

Hello friends! I’m back with another project post. It’s been a while, but I have finished another project, this one was all about feminism and dystopias.

Have you ever heard of the genre feminist dystopia? Well I hadn’t until about 2 months ago when I started this new project. At the start of the project I got to choose from 4 books to read:

From Goodreads: Set in an America where half the population has been silenced, VOX is the harrowing, unforgettable story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter. On the day the government decrees that women are no longer allowed to speak more than 100 words daily, Dr. Jean McClellan is in denial—this can't happen here. Not in America. Not to her. This is just the beginning. Soon women can no longer hold jobs. Girls are no longer taught to read or write. Females no longer have a voice. Before, the average person spoke sixteen thousand words a day, but now women only have one hundred to make themselves heard. But this is not the end. For herself, her daughter, and every woman silenced, Jean will reclaim her voice.
From Goodreads: In a world in which baby girls are no longer born naturally, women are bred in schools, trained in the arts of pleasing men until they are ready for the outside world. At graduation, the most highly rated girls become “companions”, permitted to live with their husbands and breed sons until they are no longer useful. For the girls left behind, the future – as a concubine or a teacher – is grim. Best friends Freida and Isabel are sure they’ll be chosen as companions – they are among the most highly rated girls in their year. But as the intensity of final year takes hold, Isabel does the unthinkable and starts to put on weight. .. And then, into this sealed female environment, the boys arrive, eager to choose a bride. Freida must fight for her future – even if it means betraying the only friend, the only love, she has ever known. . .
From Goodreads: In The Power the world is a recognizable place: There's a rich Nigerian boy who lounges around the family pool; a foster kid whose religious parents hide their true nature; an ambitious American politician; and a tough London girl from a tricky family. But then a vital new force takes root and flourishes, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power: They can cause agonizing pain and even death. With this small twist of nature, the world drastically resets.
From Goodreads: Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now…

My choices in order were 1. The Power 2. Only Ever Yours 3. Vox 4. The Handmaid’s Tale. I’m a Fantasy girl all the way, my bookshelf consists of fantasy, romance and a bit of mystery so when I saw the options, The Power and Only Ever Yours stood out to me. But I didn’t read either of those in fact I got my last choice, The Handmaid’s Tale. At first I was annoyed that I got my last choice but when I though about it a bit longer I was glad, I think reading The Handmaid’s Tale is something that I should’ve done at some point in my life and because it’s not really my type of book I probably wouldn’t have read it on my my own whereas I will probably read my top choices sometime on my own.

The Handmaid's Tale eBook : Atwood, Margaret: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

Well, enough about me choosing a book, let me tell you about the project. I was in a group with 3 other classmates who were reading The Handmaid’s Tale, Ryder, Johnathan, and Jakub. Once a week for 4 weeks we got together in class and talked about what we have seen in the book so far. We each had the task of making a backgrounder, which is just looking deeper into a specific part of the book, wether it be connections to our lives today or questioning what was going on in the book at the time.

Here are my backgrounders if you want to see them, if you haven’t read the book there will be !!spoilers!!

Author’s Craft, Questions, History, Connections

While we were reading the book my class was also looking into conceptual art, because our final task would be to create a conceptual art piece. We did research into what conceptual art was, the history of conceptual art, and what the purpose of conceptual art is. We looked into specific pieces like One and Three Chairs and Duchamp, Man Ray, Picabia. We learned that conceptual art is an art form that has a focus on the idea rather than the craftsmanship. In conceptual art the work isn’t as important, the decisions and the planning is what’s important and a lot of the time it’s meant to provoke people, it provokes strong feelings like anger, sadness or joy.

<p>‘The Burden of Carrying Water’ shows the woman as a great cosmic mother with lack of access to clean water as the greatest burden that women and girls in the global south face</p>

‘The Burden of Carrying Water’ shows the woman as a great cosmic mother with lack of access to clean water as the greatest burden that women and girls in the global south face(WaterAid/Poulomi Basu)

During that time we weren’t only looking into conceptual art, we were also looking into the history of feminism. We focused on the 4 Waves of Feminism and some of the big moments in feminist history like the song You Don’t Own Me, the discovery of contraceptives, and a book called The Feminine Mystique.

After all of that learning and reading we had to create our final piece, the conceptual art. My task was to create an art piece that portrayed a theme from The Handmaid’s Tale also present in our current world.

For my art piece I used a large cardboard box that contains “a woman”. I made the box look beaten up and disregarded to further my point that women are not seen as human, rather seen as objects that can be tossed around without consequence. I put labels on the box to show what was inside, and I added a QR code to one of the labels that lead to warnings. I added a photo of a crying eye looking through a hole in the box and a nail clawing out. The inspiration behind my conceptual art piece was the idea of women in The Handmaid’s Tale being property of commanders (men) and their only purpose is to produce children.

When presenting my piece I was incredibly proud of my idea and how the art came out, I had some provoking conversations with people who came up to me. One woman asked me a question that surprised me, she asked “have you ever felt like what you’re trying to portray?” I didn’t really know how to respond, I said no, but that question stayed with me for a while. Another woman asked me how my art piece could show women fighting back or the actual act of feminism. I wasn’t prepared for that question but I realized I had an answer anyways, the fact that the “woman” inside the box was clawing out showed that she wanted to get out and there was still a way out.

That project was a emotional rollercoaster for me and I was incredibly interested in what was being taught. I hope you enjoyed my post about what I learned and my journey through the project. Until next time!