How do the electron arrangements of atoms determine the chemical and physical properties of elements and compounds?

Introduction:

What are atom and ions? Before this project I could honestly now be able to answer this question. This is mostly due to me no learning anything about ions and atoms for around 1 to 2 years. Now, I think at the very least I could explain what the basic atom or ion to a stranger. One the hardest problems I faced in this project was a difficulty at first understand scientific concept. However, by the end of the project I was able to create an entire video on atoms and ions. Overall, even though this project was difficult, I think it made me really understand scientific concept I had little experience in.

Investigation 2-A:

For the 2-A investigation video we had to create a bit of animation explaining what we will be doing for a future experiment. The purpose of this assignment was for us to both get experience with animating and know the instruction for our upcoming presenting. I think I did quite well on the animation bit of this project considering how much time I had. I by no means think it is perfect however, I think it is a exceptional and wonderful animation. Additionally, I did a very good job at presenting the information in a clear and straightforward way. However, I think if I were to do this project again I would of improved on the voice recordings. Even though they aren’t the worst, I feel as if I could spoke in more pronounced and expressive voice. Overall, I’m proud of the work that I completed on this part of the project. 

Lab 2A Experiment and Write-up:

Actually doing an scientific experiment is very different than just animating someone else do it. The scientific experiment honestly for me was very nerve racking and high-strung. I think I could of improved on being more careful during the actual experiment. This is because I accidentally dropped a glass tube while conducting the experiment. However, I believe my  Lab Write-Up to be very well-written and has a great deal of well shot photos.  Essentially, I think I could of done better at this part of the project. 

Milestone five:

Milestone five is one of my least favourite milestones I have ever created. To clarify, this isn’t due to the teacher but, myself. I procrastinate a great deal on this part of the unit due to how I was nervous about how well my art would turn out. The storyboard I did before, with a part 1, part 2 and part 3 wasn’t my best work. However, I don’t think I completely failed either, to sum it up it’s complicated. I think for some part of my animation I decent and even good bits of animation. However, there is also a lot of messy and sloppy part of animations that could be really confusing for anyone watching. Moreover, another part of the animation I could of improved is my voice. My voice changes so, so, so much in the animation due to me trying and giving up to sound like an old man in different parts in the video. Overall, I think I have learned what not to do for an animation project for the future. 

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and Predicting: demonstrate sustained intellectual curiosity about scientific topic or problem of personal interest 

I think for this part of the project I showed an extending understanding. This is due to me spending all my class time wisely and only focusing on my work. In the entire class I have never used the time to do anything unproductive with my iPad or text someone during class. The only times I will talk to someone is when I needed help or if I just wanted to talk to someone for a minute. During the entire class I took notes and tried to dig deep into the atoms I would show for my animated video. Overall, I think excelled at this competence and I hope I can keep on excelling in the future.

Processing and Analyzing: Construct, analyze and interpret models and/or diagrams

I think I could of defiantly improved on this aspect of the project. I feel I was very lack on this aspect due to me not using a great deal of models/diagrams to represent my scientific theories. This show very much in my animation video where it’s sometime confusing which electron belongs to who and for half of the video that atoms/ions are drawn very messily. However, I think did a good job at understanding the purpose of the model and when I did use the model in my work, I think I did amazing job at showing what the model is. In general, I’m very disappointed of my work for this competence

Communicating: formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon

I believe that I did an accomplished job at communicating. This is mostly due to the work shown in my animation. I don’t think I did a great job at using both chemistry model and formula to explain atoms and bonds. Often in my video, my animation were confusing due to the speed of them and it was hard to see the distinction between two atoms and/or ions. However, I think I did a good job at creating a well form models in the worksheets. This is due to the notes I took of the workbooks and how less work compared to the animation. Overall, I hope I can improve on this keystone in the future.

Conclusion: 

In conclusion, this project was extremely difficult however, I came out of it more knowledgeable and wise about atoms and ions than I ever though I could possible be. I’m so glad that it’s both over and I was given the chance to greater my understanding of atoms and ions. This project also taught me a great deal of life lessons of what not do in a project. Overall, this project was only a step in learning about the all the sciences of the world.