You Are What You Eat

Have you ever heard the saying: “You are what you eat?” Well it basically means what you eat will reflect on who you are, whether it’s your personality or more physically. Recently in PLP we started a small HCE unit, and we are learning about healthy eating.

We were assigned a mini project on this, but first we needed to watch two different Ted Talks. The first one we watched really interested me, because it was about this guy who tried to be extremely healthy, and went to some extreme measures to do so. He washed his hands all the time, cleaned the remotes and cell phones in his house a lot, ate only healthy food, applied a layer of sunscreen every two hours, and wore a helmet when he was walking around. He concluded that after his year long experiment that him being so healthy was unhealthy. He was neglecting his family and friends, and being too obsessive over small things. That really interested me because some people think that you have to try to be really healthy, or extremely fit, but you don’t, you can just be who you are and still be healthy, in a healthy way.

Anyways, the mini project. We then needed to think about the foods that we eat on a daily basis, and then like Giuseppe Archimboldo, make a portrait of ourselves – but made completely out of the food we eat. This ties into the “You are what you eat” aspect of this project. I started designing my project in a great photoshop app called Photoshop Mix, but it wasn’t working the way I wanted it to, so I moved onto another app called Comic Life. Then I layered on all the food items I wanted. And so, this is my portrait:

The food I used is just some of the food I eat, and it’s mostly healthy I realize now. I don’t eat that much junk food at all, the only junk food I eat are potato chips and ice cream. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, and a decent amount of meat. All of this contributes into the portrait I made.