A surprise post. MPOL’S

Words of wisdom (declaration)

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

What was first

Now First we have probably the most important project and one of my personal favourites the blogging challenge. After every project we have to wright a blog post about the project and without this project there wouldn’t be any blog posts which is really sad. This project taught me how to format and how to make good blog post ready for review. This project also told me how to make the blog besides from the posts which is the most important part. 

My favourite thing I’ve done🎮

My favourite thing I’ve done was indeed my scratch game which was really fun to code and. Build.

Continue reading »

A silly pirate story.

A plundering beginning 

Having to make 3 blog posts in 1 week is very time consuming and a long process. But in this project I’m going to talk about a project that was just OK and thankfully not that much homework this time. But besides that in this project we learned about how European explorers got to the America’s and a little about pirates. A very interesting topic to write about and could even be converted into a story. So the very first thing we did in this project was we had to right a paragraph of more about a made up pirate or Viking story now of course I chose to write about a pirate. The story I think was about a pirate cursed by a wizard can’t really remember but I think that was it if not I don’t really care.

Gadgets and gizmos 

The next big thing we did in this project was learning about different items they used to navigate the open ocean. These items included a compass, a astrolabe, a cross-staff, and the back-staff. These items were important to sailing because they were using the stars to navigate before then. It gave them a sense of direction to get to their destination in the times of old, the cross staff and others is kinda like gps when there were no satellites to give off signals or modern technology to help them. Another revolutionary item for the time was a sailing ship in the name of the caravel.

Different types of ships

Now the caravel was different to all other ships because the caravel was smaller and had a shallower keel, also having triangular sails. This was important to sail upriver of against a current of water, also with the sails attached it was much more maneuverable and could sail closer to shore. Even more facts because the sails were triangles the caravel could move super fast beating all other ships by far which was very helpful to getting to destinations fast. Now with other ships they were big, bulky and very hard to sail upriver or against a current so why even get other ships.

The cause and the consequences

The next thing we did was we learned a bit about the cause and consequences of explorations. An example of this is the Europeans needed new materials, they traded pelts with the first people (this would be short term consequence), this lead to the Colombian exchange of all new spices and animals (long term). Now these consequences were mostly good but some we pretty bad like trading slaves and converting people to Christianity. If I keep talking about these this post will be too long so here’s some pictures.

The invention of my story

Now we knew that eventually we would be writing a story with it being 4-5 minutes long which is kinda a long time for a short story. So we started off writing a story mountain with enough detail to it that you could use it the full story. Now after that bit that I had to redo a couple of times it was time to make pictures for our final video. This process took some time of tracing and finding good photos to trace that goes with the story. So after all that work I went outside one sunny day placed down all of my pictures on an app called AR maker that we had to do it on. I filmed went home and recorded voice lines. Finally I was done and here is that video.

The big driving question🏎️

Now the question is How can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact? Now by telling story’s of different lands it could influence more people to go exploring thus leading to most of the world being found.

The road to Destination and imagination

The very start

Now that the first tournament of this project “the regionals” is over, gone, dusted we have to make a what I assume to be a pretty long post for how long the setup was for the tournament was so I’m going to get into it. To start things off in I think December we got our challenge types and teams where we met all our team mates and started planning. We had about 30 minutes to look over the rules and see the dimensions that we needed for the item. Now I haven’t exactly told you what challenge option my team and I got, we got probably the most fun challenge engineering. For engineering this year we had to make a launching device that launches a pretty heavy bean bag about 14 oz so kinda heavy. To make this device we had a budget of $200 to buy all of the materials including props and materials to build with, plus paints.

The grim reality of meeting up.

A couple months into the project our group had to meet up regularly to build the device and make props. Now I missed a lot of the meeting because I was sick A LOT but at the very end a few weeks before I did come to the meetings and dress rehearsals. At these meetings I was told that they made the modular device and some other important props during these meeting’s but I really couldn’t do anything about it seeing that I was on the verge of death. Plus one of the times was a dress rehearsal that was at the school and was kind of disappointed that I couldn’t come and help. Now taking place a little more than half way way to the tournament which was on a Saturday taking up the entire day which I was not very thrilled about that but I’m going to talk about that later. Now things were getting serious, one of our group members created a script for all of us and luckily I only had 4 lines :).

Scripts and robots.

Now about a week or two after getting our lines one of our group members said we had to miss the tournament to go to another tournament this time for skiing and I had to take the burden of his lines. Now up to six lines with 8 sentences which was very disappointing seeing now that I had to memorize a whole new set of lines. Now with little less than a month until the tournament I actually was free of my relentless sickness and started coming to meetings. In said meeting I worked on memorizing lines and cutting cardboard to make props. When mostly other members of the team started working on the robot costume it was short but complex task. Having to gather a big cardboard box and paint the entire thing then putting cool decorations on it like a ball that lights up when turned on which was pretty cool.

The big day

After months of planning and practicing lines it was finally time for the tournament. For my costume I had to wear all white and a dress shirt that I wasn’t too thrilled about seeing that I had to dig it out of my closet. Now arriving at school at 8:30 AM ON A SATURDAY I was very tired and hadn’t memorized all my lines so I had one last run through and it went well. Now with about 30 minutes to go we had to move our props into the room where we were presenting we had time too watch the first team go which was interesting to say the least. Now finally going up and presenting to the appraisers the final presentation and I think we did pretty well.

The verdict

Now with our presentation being at 9:40 am and the award show being at 2:30 we had just under five hours of doing completely nothing. When it got to around 11:00 am my friends and I went to go have lunch then go play soccer which was amusing. Then after just walking around for a couple of hours we all had to go to the gym to see who won in each division. In engineering and rest of the challenges there was 2 classes intermediate and senior, senior being the older kids. After waiting a while they finally got around to engineering and you won’t believe if I told you. We got first place which was very cool. So finally I got to go home around 3:00 pm and finally get some rest.

Cool facts about Atoms and a very cool video game

Where it all starts

Well as my first post of the second semester of this year I feel very tired and wanting to go home. But back to the actual project it was one of the more funnier ones since it’s not all on an iPad. This project consisted of finding out properties of the atom and other science things. Right now I’m going to talk about the different types of labs we did and what we used to do them so lets start.

The first lab we did was not with different types of chemicals and dry substances we weighed some heavy objects with a quadruple beam balance. This scale is a really accurate scale of weighing not too heavy things the max it can measure is 321 grams which is enough to weigh some things like a tiny metal cube. We measured a small metal cube, a rectangle, and metal circle with a hole in it so all pretty light. You would think that is really easy but its kinda difficult, you have to move the blocks weighing from 100 g to 1 g to the different points in the beam to make the heavier. The final thing we measured was a 250 ml beaker with 100 ml first we had to measure how heavy the beaker was which the beaker was 109.7 g and sadly my partner and I didn’t have the time to get an accurate reading on the water and sadly we had to put it away.

The cool part

Now somewhat through the project we got to do something real fun. A lab with direct chemicals that we can mix together to make different things. The materials consisted of baking soda, corn starch, sugar, salt, and a mystery substance that we learned at the end was flour. Now we didn’t just mix these things together that would be boring so we got a couple of different liquids and one pretty cool thing that consisted of water, vinegar, iodine, and fire. Now the water with all of them didn’t do much but the vinegar and iodine did something that was cool. With the m=baking soda it fizzed out of the beaker and we had to clean it up. Also with the iodine if you add in sugar it turns orange which is kinda cool but if you add a bit too much of baking soda or cornstarch and the stuff like that it clumps up and you can mold it. With the fire it really just melted everything but with some things it made the flame way bigger.

A little bit before that we did a different kind of measurement. You took a graduated cylinder filled it half of the way with water and put random metal objects in and measured it to see how much the water rises. My partner and I put a nail and a small long metal block in, the nail didn’t really raise it that much but the cylinder raised almost to the top and that’s really all the volume lab was just put different things in the graduated cylinder.

The big finale 

Now for the first project of science the final thing we had to do had to be fun since the driving question was “How can we communicate our knowledge of atoms in a fun and creative way” we had to make a video game. Now we didn’t have to make a 3d hyper realistic open world game no we used scratch that sometimes doesn’t work how it should. Now when we started the video game I wasn’t there because a was sick but that’s not the point. I was a week late on the project but nothing to despair I finished the gamed with ample days to spare. Now after I told you this you might be asking what game did I make well I made a soccer game. We had to use are knowledge of atoms to make a game what I did was I put cool facts about the atom in the game and atoms are all around us when we move, when we kick a ball and so on. So without further ado here is the game and I hope you like it.

The horrifying world of poems

By the title you can probably guess that this project was all about poems and their styles. This was definitely the shortest project we’ve done so far with it lasting under one month. With this being the last project of the semester we had to do something big to get the attention of the class ( that is not what happened ). First we learned about a poet laureate. A poet laureate is a person chosen by the Librarian of Congress who ever that is. After that we started learning how to make a good poem and what’s involved to make a good one. We were given a list of poems and had to list the similes and metaphors and things like that. After that long process we got in to the bad part WRITING THE POEMS!

The first set of poems we had to make was the simile poem ( a poem full of similes ) and the metaphor poem ( a poem full of metaphors ) and we had to have these poems ready for the next day. now there are 9 different poems with each being 10 lines or longer would make the post way to long so I will just put my BOOK link at the end. There’s a book but sawyer you didn’t tell us there was a book well when you’ve made all your poems you had to put them all into a book to be presented at a later date. Also I won’t be mentioning much of the poems since they are in the book.

The next thing we did was we got into groups of three and were given en a random sound poem ( a poem made up of random sounds ). My group was given the poem with the name of “ silent poem” my first solution was when we went up to present we don’t say anything given the name put we had to speak. The poem is made up of six parts so we all got to do two of them. So without further ado here is silent poem

Silent Poem

backroad leafmold stonewall chipmunk

underbrush grapevine woodchuck shadblow

woodsmoke cowbarn honeysuckle woodpile

sawhorse bucksaw outhouse wellsweep

backdoor flagstone bulkhead buttermilk

candlestick ragrug firedog brownbread

hilltop outcrop cowbell buttercup

whetstone thunderstorm pitchfork steeplebush

gristmill millstone cornmeal waterwheelwatercress buckwheat firefly jewelweed

gravestone groundpine windbreak bedrock

weathercock snowfall starlight cockcrow

by Robert Francis

Next we had to learn a lot of poetry terms which took up half the class just to learn them. I will show them now.

1. Simile: a comparison of two unlike things using like or as. 

2. Cliche: overly used expression. 

3. rhythm scheme: pattern of rhymes in a poem.

4. Metaphor: a comparison between two unlike things

5. Free verse: a poem without rhythm or rhyme

6. Onomatopoeia: words that sound the way they mean.

7. Denotation: literal definition of a word.

8. Connotation: the associated feelings that come with a word

9. Juxtaposition: two things being seen or placed together with contrasting effect.

10. Haiku: a short three line with 5 syllables in the first line 7 in the second line 5 in the third line.

11. Found poem: poems are created by talking words, phrases, and sometimes whole passages from other sources and reframing them as poetry by making changes in spaces and lines, or by adding and deleting, and giving it a new meaning.

12. Theme: def = life lesson meaning moral or message about life or human nature that is communicated in literary work text theme is what the story teaches readers. Does not = a word in a sentence. Theme is implied

Now obviously I am leaving a lot of things out of this post but their the same things I’ve talked about or just really boring. So finally I hope you enjoyed my post and come back for more oh and here’s the book.

A new book

The most radical innovations and a fun exhibition

The Renaissance

Much like the post I did on the Medieval times where we learned about items that were invented in that time period and what not. Much like our other project we superimposed ourselves into a painting from that time in the world. In our last painting we had to find a painting made from the 1100 to 1650 and this time around we got a shorter time frame of 1 to 200 years less than we did before.

As you can see in this photo that shows my expertise in working with images and some items from that time period such as the clock, and the compass. While working on this I forgot to import a background from the Renaissance which is sad because the background would’ve made the picture feel like more of a renaissance photo. A little bit before that we did a short class of the witch trials that were being held around that time lets take a look.

The witch trials

The time the witch trials were being held were between February 1692 and may 1693 so just a bit over a year. Although the very first suspicion of witchcraft was in 1618. The total number of people killed in Europe for witchcraft and things like that are 12000 but the estimation for the whole world is 35000 to 50000. The most popular of the bunch were the Salem witch trials which are the most talked about and memorable ones that were held.

The final stretch

For the last month of the project or last few weeks we were put into groups to make a tableau with out whole group in the Medieval times, the Renaissance, and modern day. You may be asking what was all this for you didn’t just get put into groups just to hand something right? No we had to present and PREFORM this tableau at the dawning winter exhibition which was the big thing we’ve been working up to for the past four months.

We had to make props or just bring props from home ( this was the most time consuming part). We had to skillfully craft swords shields and other objects from these eras from cardboard and then paint them. We made all sorts of things from voting box’s to church’s that could be turned around into an Apple store. With these final tableaus being made we also made digital ones which is where you insert your group into a photo background. This part you think would be easy well some of it is but you hade to fit your pictures into a frame and do all the editing so it was hard in it’s own way. After all the wait from these few paragraphs here is the final digital tableau!

You might notice that I was not in these photos well I left early for vacation to visit family which was a huge win. But that also meant that that I couldn’t attend the exhibition that we’ve been working to this whole time but the real sad part of it all was that you could order diner from the school which was White spot. I was quite mad when I heard this because this meant I couldn’t get a club sandwich which is my usual order so that was huge blow. I didn’t get any photo’s of the exhibition as I was not there and my group didn’t get any good ones either. So overall this project was shorter than my other ones and I liked it and I hope you liked my post on it too.

Having fun with Sketches pro

First what I did

This project was so long it felt like it only lasted a week ( which it did only last a week). So yeah this was the shortest project I’ve done so far which is a very good thing. It was a short project so that means we didn’t get any homework unless you were away one of the days but more of what I did. From the title you may guess that the project was about drawing which it was so here is the first drawing I did ( I was so posed to do a picture about shapes but I accidentally deleted it so here’s a traced drawing).

Lester the Robot

The next thing we did was we had to drawing a robot. There was a lot of good ones but mine was the best one out of all of the drawing because of its colour and how detailed it is. You should definitely try to draw a robot but I don’t think it would be better than mine.

Lester was the final thing from the shapes portion. What I mean by shapes is we used different pens to draw different shapes like 3d and 2d. I did the shapes part in like half a class getting to use all different pens and shading styles. The main pen I used for shading was the pencil because it can be a lighter colour but if you press down harder it becomes darker like a real pencil very good for shading. Sadly the shapes were the thing I accidentally deleted so i got nothing to show so this is just a break in the text.

The greatest mushroom

The next thing and the second to last thing I drew was my emoji. You could remake a old one or make a new one. I chose to make a old one with a little adjustment and ending up spending 30 minutes on it. I drew a mushroom with a face it’s really simple to make a mushroom just getting all the measurements for the head and stem. So after ranting for a while here is the long awaited mushroom.

The best company ever

After whole blog post this is what you’ve been waiting for the final thing I drew. But first let me explain the other part we had to do creating the company. Yeah we had to draw a logo for a made up company so we had to get a name a description and who this company’s targeted audience is. My company’s name is burning coals and the logo’s even better than the name. Burning coals is a coal mining company with the catch phrase of Firey hot. The targeted audience is people who bbq or go camping a lot which is not many people. But without further talking here his the awaited logo.

The project that I missed half of.

My crusades dialog

What was this project and why did I miss half of it well that’s what I’m going to tell you in this tiny post. But first we need to find out What can we learn from the past, and why does that matter to us today? First we need to delve into what I did in this project most of it I didn’t know what to do but still first I’ll start with the most fun thing in my opinion we did this project making a dialog skit.

Oliver : hey I see you by the way

Sawyer : oh well I can’t say it’s good to see you

Oliver: I though you said you’d never speak to us again…….BROTHER!!!!!!!

Sawyer: I’m sorry for what i did but its just my beliefs 

Oliver: want to talk about it I wont tell mom

Sawyer: ok but make it fast i have somewhere to be

“The brothers go to a fire and talk”

Oliver: so your now Muslim huh

Sawyer: yah and your Christian

Oliver: i think that what the crusades are doing to you guys is terrible

Sawyer: yah last week i went to a town that had been raided what i saw…what they did to us it was terrible 

Marc: HEY what are you guys talking about 

Oliver: oh god don’t scare me like that

Marc: I’m thinking about joining the crusade’s

Sawyer:i don’t think you should they kill us rob us they are terrible people

Oliver: both people are being bad the Muslim’s are taking our land but the Christian’s are being very brutal i just want both people to stop

Marc and sawyer: yah same

Sawyer: just being in the middle of this is terrible

Oliver: yah.

End of script.

The book of the lion

The fun part about it was that we got to present our scripts to the class but sadly I wasn’t there for the presentation because I was deathly sick with the disease called “The cold” I know very menacing. But overall me and my partners worked …… I wouldn’t say that hard because it was just dialogue but it was a fun part of this dragging on project. Probably the biggest part of this project was we had to read another book. I have to say the allure with the books in this program is very big and I hope I wont have another one for this new project. But the book we read was The book of the lion and it was alright. I mean I wouldn’t say it was the best things I’ve read but I’m still thinking about if its bad or not. It’s set in the medieval era so that must mean oh yeah this project was centred around those times. If you read my last post you know that there’s work sheets to do as we read the book and reflections of those sheets so basically the same thing.

Chinggis Khan tribute

The next thing we did or the one of the last things we did was create a tribute to a leader not any ordinary one though you had to pick one of these three SALAH AL-DIN, CHINGGIS KHAN, and ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE. There was multiple options for a tribute like a poem a video a song or something like that. My group worked on a video oh and I forgot to mention that we had 20 minutes so we were on a bit of a time crunch. One person worked on the video while me and the other were sending him photos and dialog to use for the video. For 20 minutes I think we did pretty good but it’s up to you to. (I did not have the music choice.)

My Movie 6

the artwork starring me!

For the final thing we did for this project we had to find a painting from the year 1100 to 1650 and place ourselves inside the image. We had to learn how to use a new app called superimpose it was pretty easy to make funny photos. We had to get a good photo for that background and it really only took 10 – 20 minutes to make so it was simple. You might want to see this good art that I made so here it is and thank you for reading the post about the project that I missed half the assignments for.

It’s the end of my world (as I know it)

In the beginning 

This project was quite long and most of the time difficult. It all started with this silly book called the outsiders. In this post I’m going to tell you the hell it was to write and record a song plus read a book that I wouldn’t say was bad I necessarily didn’t like. First about what we did for the outsiders portion of this project.

When we started reading the outsiders we got 4 role sheets to do. These role sheets had different things to do on them like drawing a part from the 10 chapters or taking a passage and writing about it and why you chose it. Most of this part of the project was about worldview and your worldview but I didn’t really get it so I was just piecing it together bit by bit. I still don’t know what is the definition of worldview I haven’t gotten that far yet.

The long bit of the project.

About a quarter through the book and the project we got another assignment to do. Make made up lyrics to the song It’s the end of the world as we know it. This song required teamwork since we were in groups and we couldn’t have done it without our groups it was to big of a project. But honestly my groups lyrics were ……. Alright I mean they weren’t great but they were fine. We also used garage band to edit the song and add cool effects to some parts. Sadly there was a set track so we didn’t get to play any instruments which was the part I was looking forward to. Now on to the second part of the song making the video!

For the making of this video was pretty long siding on the fact that I wouldn’t send any photos until like a week before it was due but besides that it went pretty well. The song was 4 minutes long so each person had to give 20-30 photos I gave about 15 ish photos simply because I didn’t have any photos of myself but they had enough to cover me. Once we had all the photos one person had to edit the video and give it transitions and movement because without it it would just be a slide show over a song. The video needed collaboration, working together, and decision making but in the end we got there and made the video and here it is.

Back to the outsiders 

Nearing the end of this project was a very happy day for me because it lasted almost 3 months so yeah I was pretty happy. On one of the last days our teacher let us watch the movie the outsiders and we thought it was a fun couple of days watching a movie but I got hit hard when we had to make a venn diagram while we watched the movie which was a horror to me and some other people. It was about things that relate to me and relates to the outsiders so that was fine. But that was about it for the project it was way to long and I’m glad to be done with it.

This is how I got through my first project and became a learner.

For the past few months I have been fighting through hours of homework and being tired all the time for one project Becoming a PLP learner and to find out Who am I as a PLP learner.

This project has been a lot of work but I am pretty proud of a few things that took time out of my weekend which is unforgivable and was very bad. But I liked 3 things from this project which I don’t know why because it’s school work and horrible but I liked my shoe.  

Here’s a link to more shoes: Nike shoes

You maybe be asking out of all of the things you did in this project why a shoe well it was my favourite and that I thought it was a cool assignment to do. School work is boring and if you don’t think that then your bad but not all school work is bad (most of it is bad  like math but carrying on) art and P.E are fun but besides that there’s really not that fun. This project took way too long and was pretty forgiving if you didn’t hand in your work on time one especially the Memoji that I revised many times.

Some of the newer assignments that we did in October were the pumpkin we made and our traced dog. Most of this stuff maybe seem weird to you well because it is but it also was fun and the tracking project we did in this course. First I will show the dog because I personally like it more than the pumpkin. The pumpkin kind bad so that’s another reason why.

After some anticipation about this jack o lantern pumpkin the next picture I will show will be it. But first lets talk about the inner workings of this assignment and how it was made. First we started off by just erasing bits of the pumpkin to make a face or whatever. Then we put shapes on the pumpkin to make it look like more of a jack o lantern.

Well to wrap up this project for good and this blog post this took a lot of time mainly for the project not so much for the post but I put some thought into this. I’m not very good at writing long form essays or stuff like this much because your stuck with the same topic. But alas there’s so much to write about this one so I leave you with my 5th and final picture my WordPack! Oh and if you want to check out more about me then click this link:

About Me