Our Destination Imagination Journey!

The nightmare has become reality yet again! Yes, we just finished our DI provincials competition and wow it was a lot…
If you read my other post on our regionals competition you would know how stressful, scary and did I mention stressful? DI really is. You can find that post by clicking here.

In case you didn’t read it or are just too lazy too, (which I know a lot of you are) I will do a quick recap for you…
DI or Destination Imagination is an organization that creates challenges for children of a wide range of ages to compete in. These challenges would include skills that you would be able to apply to the real world! I could continue to explain but why don’t I show you a video instead…

My Team

My team was called the Bean Baggers and we can actually work really well together if we try 😂.  Here are their blog links so you can see their post about this tournament as well and some other cool things they may have posted!:

Eloise
Sven
Isaac
Sawyer
Cole

Our Challenge

My group had to create a bean bag launcher that didn’t include any electronics and was accurate enough that we could estimate where it landed. Allow me too explain… I am in the engineering challenge with my group as they are listed above…

Anyway too continue for our exact challenge quoted by the book “You must have a ordinary character who does not posses any supernatural abilities and they are having a normal day when a catalyst occurs then your modular device will save the day” So they basically wrote our storyline and we just needed to make it our own.

Story 📖

I did explain the story in my first post for regionals but there is no harm in doing it again for the lazy people!

Our story is based on a normal citizen on a walk around town when OH NO! She sees a mechanical arm throwing garbage into the ocean! Thinking she cant do anything about this she just continues her walk and goes to sleep back at home… She then wakes up in a dream where climate change has taken over the world it is hot, sweaty and people are barely surviving. She realizes what a horror this world is and she knows what she has to do to help stop it! She wakes up and reconfigures the device into a recycling launcher that launches bottles and recyclable objects into the recycling bin. She then passes out into a dream where the world is bright and sunny and climate change is but a un-worrisome subject. We explain how this has occurred and we then finish with a “SCENE!”.

Our story is based on climate change and its problems and we are informing the appraisers and the audience of what may happen if we continue down the path we are on. 

Modular Device

Our device was a wooden mechanical launcher that was able to launch a bean bag over 100 cm away but how? Im not going to go into the logistics of how it works and what-not but basically is has stored up potential energy in the rubber bands and when they are released the beanbag goes flying. 
Here is a video showing us launching a beanbag with our device for the first time:

copy_4B267ED0-48AC-4F37-8955-02BB3A857062

The Week Prior

So we are sitting in the sun, sleeping in and enjoying spring break when suddenly… BAM! School starts again… back to classes, waking up early and the one we were all not looking forward to the most DI. With my team winning regionals (WHOOP WHOOP!) we didn’t really do much over spring break because we didn’t think there was much to do. That was a big mistake because as soon as the day before school, it hit us… DI PROVINCIALS ARE IN 4 DAYS!!! All I know is that me and Eloise are stressing out A LOT. I had created an entire schedule for our week and it looked like this:

I know its not the best but it was rushed and I was stressing out by just looking at everything we had to do still.

Instant Challenge 🤐

It’s crazy how we have to write a post about this when we can barely say anything about it 😂. I will be very vague because I am under oath not to tell you until the end of June. In an instant challenge you may get a task based challenge or and performance challenge or you may sometimes get both! I feel my team did really well and we worked together smoothly and didn’t get in each other’s way (which I can tell you is a very good thing). My team even got max points in one of the aspects we were being judged on! In an instant challenge we are purely judged on our teamwork skills and our solution to the problem that was presented to us. I feel my group handled the stress and pressure of the instant challenge well and the end product was successful.

Awards 🏆

At the end during the awards ceremony our name was called for second place for our main challenge and first place for the instant challenge because unlike last time they did not put the scores together but instead did it separately. Of course we were confused and annoyed that we didn’t get first but the team that did must have deserved it. I hope that next year we can try to win the provincial tournament just like Regionals.

RPReplay_Final1712529868BeanBaggersAwards

THE END!!! 🥲

Apart from what I said about it being a nightmare I might miss DI, like us showing up to tutorial, meeting with my group and performing together! I just want to say that even though I may have complained I actually had a great experience.
CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!! 🥳 

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you stay posted for my next posts! 👍

My First mPOL 😬

As a grade 8 I had never done an MPOL before. I didn’t really know what it was to be completely honest, I just learned about it and I’ll tell you all I know…

MPOL

What does it stand for? Well it stands for Midterm Presentation Of Learning.
We don’t show absolutely everything we have learned just the things that really impacted our learning such as…

POL Declaration

(Introductions) Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

The Outsiders

This was one of our first projects in PLP and it was almost like a building block that added to all of our others that semester as well! The outsiders was a reading that we did that showed us a lot about worldview and our own worldview compared to others. I made an entire blog post on it so I wont be saying too much about it but click here to read it.
As I was saying The Outsiders taught us about worldview. You may be thinking, “But what is worldview?” Worldview is how an individual or a group sees the world almost like their perspective on things and its how they act, speak, live all of that. What I have is a western worldview and I’m pretty sure most of you have it as well! According to many articles that I have read that means that we have more fact based decisions and need more proof before making decisions on anything.

What do you mean by “Building block”?

During this year we have done so many projects that are based around the idea of worldview and our first project was the starting building block to help us understand all the other projects as well.
As said by our PLP teachers then idea of worldview and learning about it and applying it to our learning and assignments will be carried on with us till almost grade 10 that 2 more years! I do think that worldview is a great concept to know about deeply and it is also a great concept that you can learn more about.

Tryptic

This is my groups digital triptych! Our tryptic was one thing that really impacted my learning and the reason for that is it made us think about other times and their worldviews. A tryptic is a 3 panel art piece so in one panel we had the medieval times in another we had the renaissance times and in the middle we had the contemporary times (now). I have another blog post on that so you can click here to view it.
The triptych was a group project and it helped me build teamwork skills and helped me understand how much different it is to work in a group than by yourself. 

Poems Book

A Journey Through My Poems

Click the photo to view my poems book!!!

This was the hardest project for me to do because it required me to express myself in a new and different way that I never had before. I know a lot of people are saying it was one of the easier projects to do because they just had to write some meaningless poems. I wasn’t able to write some poems that were meaningless because for one I wanted a good grade and also I was intrigued in this project to learn and to discover more about the different ways I could display my learning.
Just like all the others I also have a blog post for this humanities project so you can click here to read that as well.

Destination Imagination

So yeah of course I am going to talk about DI a reason I am going to do that is because it helped improve my teamwork skills and my building skills. What it also helped me improve was my actual life skills which is what DI is “supposed” to do. I feel DI has improved me the most and has actually been the most fun and stressful at the same time if you know what I mean. 
Me and my group have been able to work together and actually win together! I feel that my group has many strengths that were demonstrated in our challenge. We do have many strengths but we do have a very big weakness having the same level of commitment, we find it hard to make it to meetings such as tutorial and lunch practices. Here is my are both my blog posts for regionals and provincials.

What Have I Showed A Great Understanding in? 👍

I feel that I mostly understood the Bon Voyage project where we had to make an AR maker video on the European settlers when they came to Canada. Another thing I felt I really understood and did well was my blog posts. I put a lot of effort and tried really hard to make them intriguing, long-ish and enjoyable! If you read any of my recent posts I try to include images and videos so that it is more intriguing. Another thing I am proud of is DI I feel I did well making props, writing the script and working with my group. I also feel that me and my DI group have come along way from the beginning where we used to argue and not agree on the same ideas.

My AR Maker Video:

Blog Post On This Project Link

What I Need To Work On? 🔄

I need to work on listening and using other peoples ideas when I work in a group of people. I usually like to use my ideas because i think they are the best and only include others sometimes. Another thing I need to work on is staying focused and doing the work I need to instead of talking to my friends or playing games. Another big thing I need to do is ask for help when I need it. I feel like I struggle with this because I like to think I can do it myself (when I cant).

Things I Can Do To Help Me Improve: 🛠️

– Going to tutorial when I have questions

– Challenging myself and going past the expected amount

– Using the app Things to help me hand in my assignment on time

– Asking for help when I don’t understand something or if something is unclear to me

– Reading instructions more carefully before I do an assignment

Learning Plan Goal  🥅

When I say learning plan goal it is technically called “Statement Of Learning Intent” So this was my statement of learning intent also my goal that I am going to try to achieve by the end of the year. Here it is:

This year I want to know and want to be able to receive feedback on how to do things in a deeper and better way. For example I may want to learn how to ride a bike but instead to learn things more I want to learn tricks and skills to become a star trick biker. For me I want to not just have people tell me that I’m doing things wrong and for me to accept that I want people to tell me what I can build on and be better at and I want to be able to use that feedback to make it better. Basically in conclusion I want to become a more Open learner who excepts feedback and can grow on it.

How Will I Make Sure I Achieve My Goals By The End Of The Year? 💭

To make sure I can complete my goal I will look over my goals often and will make sure that I am motivated to complete them all. I will also try to go beyond the expected amount more often (as one of my goals say) and why I am doing this is too get a better mark and prove that I am willing to do more. I have many examples where I have done the work and gotten a proficient mark ✅ but to show that I can do more and am capable of it I will work harder to get extending 💯 in the future.

How Have I Shown That I Have Grown From The Learner I Used To Be?

To show that I have grown as a learner I have proven to ask more creative questions about the topic we are learning. I have also shown that I am capable of doing what’s expected and sometimes even more. Some evidence I have that shows I have grown are my blog posts. At the beginning sure they had words and pictures but they weren’t really as intriguing I got this advice from most of my teachers saying how I need to “Improve” so I took that feedback and have tried to apply it to all my more recent posts. As I look back at the projects I have done I see that at the beginning I wouldn’t have been able to do them at all. For me that shows that I have grown as a learner.

Other than me growing as a learner I feel that I have grown as a person. By that I mean I have been exploring different learning techniques and just learning new things (un- school related). With us doing that I have discovered different ways I like to learn and what I like to learn about! I have found out many things about myself such as what I have improved on from the beginning of year to now! Something I have learned about myself is that I am able to talk in front of people and speak publicly!!! At the beginning of the year I could never have done a presentation in front of people where I would have to talk… for a really long time… I have noticed over time I have been getting more used to talking to groups and talking in a presentation (like how I would be doing while presenting my mPOL) I have been growing in this area and I hope to keep getting better!

Thanks for reading! And stay posted for my next post! 😁👍

A Whole New World 🌍

We have just come out of a new project called “Bon Voyage 🌊” in this project we have been learning about the age of exploration, the Vikings and the European explorers. 

🏎️ DQ (Driving Question)

How can we use storytelling to investigate what sparked global exploration and understand its impact?

How we end up doing this is by writing a story on pages and having to draw a bunch of drawings that we would end up putting on our AR Maker app to make a digital story.

Getting Started With AR Maker:

At the beginning of this whole project we were experimenting with an app called AR Maker.
A reason we were experimenting with this in the first place was because our entire project was going to end with us writing and making a digital story. 

I found this difficult to make but in the end it was actually really fun! We had to make a one minute story and draw out all the aspects that would go into it here is mine:

Technology:

We learned a lot about the kind of technology that was used to travel and that was traded during the Columbia exchange and the European exchange. Some of these were Compasses, Sextants, Caravel ship and more! 

We made a sketch of each of the important things during the exchange and made this too show our knowledge of what we had learned:

Connecting Cause And Consequence

Connecting the cause and the consequences was a very big thing that we were learning about in our class. A reason this was a giant thing we were learning is because it is a clear thing to know when you are writing a story. When I say connecting cause and consequence I mean that for example: “Timmy was cheating a math test with his phone” Then “Got caught cheating and failed his math test” Then connecting the cause with the consequence “His parents got mad and took away his phone”. We did many assignments on this to show what we had learned here are some examples:

Story Mountain

A story mountain is when we started to write our story that was:

– Historically Accurate
– Detail Oriented
– Has A Beginning,Middle,End

I found this part took a lot of thinking and when I was writing this out I had to think a lot about how I wanted the story to go and how I wanted it to include everything that we had learned. I end up going with a very historically accurate version of history and it actually turns out pretty well. I tried to film the entire story that I had created on AR Maker and then voiceover it on IMovie. 

My AR Movie:

Conclusion:

I really enjoyed this project because it allowed us to show our knowledge in a new, fun and creative way! I love how we learned about so many aspects of our project before we made our end project I had many assignments that led up to our end product which is the video above. In conclusion I will take these things that we have learned and will use them in the future and I will also look back at this project and will think about the things that we have learned. 

Hope you enjoyed reading and stay posted for my next post! 👍

DI Regionals Reflection

Destination Imagination Update: We made it through regionals!!! We didn’t die! I know that we wouldn’t actually die but the way it was hyped up to seem absolutely horrible and devastating seemed like we were all going to die.

YEP! My team won first! We were all very proud of this outcome but even though we did get first I feel there are still things we can improve on for PROVINCIALS!

Destination Imagination!

Destination Imagination (DI) is a big competition where multiple teams compete in a certain challenge to win. My group was “The Bean Baggers” and we were competing in the bean bag launching challenge.

Story

Our story is based on a normal citizen on a walk around town when OH NO! She sees a mechanical arm throwing garbage into the ocean! Thinking she cant do anything about this she just continues her walk and hoes to sleep back at home… She then wakes up in a dream where climate change has taken over the world it is hot, sweaty and people are barely surviving. She realizes what a horror this world is and she knows what she has to do to help stop it! She wakes up and reconfigures the device into a recycling launcher that launches bottles and recyclable objects into the recycling bin. She then passes out into a dream where the world is bright and sunny and climate change is but a un-worrisome subject. We explain how this has occurred and we then finish with a “SCENE!”.

Here is my teams DI Regionals performance!:

Prep

The time we had to prepare for DI was actually quite a while in my opinion! But some of the private schools and some of the homeschoolers had even longer! In our prep time we read the booklet and made sure all the requirements were met before the competition. While we were in this prep time everyone in our group made an effort to come to our meetings in the morning and after school and as we got closer to regionals, all of our dress rehearsals.
Here are the people in my groups blogs, just click their name to check them out!:

Eloise
Sven
Isaac
Cole
Sawyer

Poem

As my part in the script I was meant to memorize this poem and be able to recite it easily and fluently in our performance. I found this job quite difficult especially because I had other lines to memorize as well but in the end I was able to deliver the best I could! 

A reason we included a poem was because it showed off one of our team choice elements (something that your team has in common that you must add to your performance) as I have said in one of my recent blog posts we had just recently learned about poetry and writing poems. If you would like to see that post click here!

We received high marks for the poem and I was very proud of my team for doing that and accomplishing one of our goals. 

1 Week Prior!

With one week until regionals we were freaking out we had recently learned that one of our group members was unable to attend because of “ …”  we still had so much to do and even though it was easy to rewrite the script filling in that gap of… 1 less person doing set changes, 1 less person on stage and yada yada… The mornings of this week was very productive with everyone being there 90% of the time.

Day Before…

We did our first dress rehearsal! YAY! Bu we did end up doing like 20 more after that 😂. People were struggling remembering lines and with what they are supposed to be doing when not talking (set changes, launches) I am included in this by the way, Im not just coming at my group! We ended up doing 3 dress rehearsals that weren’t the best and told everyone to look over the script a few more times before the next day.

Regionals!

It was the day we had all be waiting for, we were horrified, excited, stressed and I don’t speak for my whole group when I say this but I was freaking out! My entire group arrived at 8:20 so we had about an hour before we had to be at our room where we were doing our challenge. We had some of the cleanest dress rehearsals ever and we were going in confident (sort of). As soon as we were about to start we did our cheer and we were off! IT WAS SO GOOD! It was clean it was smooth everyone remembered their lines and it was just so good! My whole group was celebrating and  we were then asked questions by the judges, I think that our presentation went very well and it will only get better before provincials!

Instant challenge: 🤐

I cannot be talking to you about this in too much detail or any detail really because I am under oath that till the end of May I cannot reveal any information about the instant challenge or my team will be disqualified from the tournament.
 But I’m sure I can tell you what an instant challenge is! A instant challenge is a challenge that you have no clue is going to be! You could so a task instant challenge a performance instant challenge or both in the same one! The appraisers/judges will critique you on your team work skills and how much you actually complete the challenge.

Our teams teamwork was very good we were accepting each other’s ideas and not saying no to anything! I feel the instant challenge was a big help that helped us earn first place and I think that if we hadn’t done as well we may have had a different result.

Rose, Bud, Thorn:

A rose, bud, thorn is a way to reflect on something you have done and want to get better at. I am using this style of reflection to reflect on our regionals tournament.

Rose 🌹 = Good Things and things we did great on!

I feel we had many roses in our tournament and from before or tournament. Such as our teamwork in creating the entire performance the device and also from our instant challenge. Another rose was everyone remembering lines and not stuttering or mumbling and everyone saying them loud and clear so that the appraisers and the audience can hear.

Bud 🌱 = Things we can grow on and get better at!

Our team could’ve had some better communication between us on our group chat and in person. With letting our group know about the fact if you would be able to turn up to a meeting or if you were un able to go to the tournament maybe letting the group know sooner. Another bud is our backgrounds and props I feel compared to the rest of the groups they were less on the nice looking side. Im not saying that was a huge part because we did win first after all its just that for provincials we need to maybe upgrade some of our props and backgrounds.

Thorn 🥀 = Things we did not do great at and need to improve on.

Something not really my group needs to do but I need to do is launch the device in the correct spot and not on the Velcro mat. I did not do this 3 times and we scored a 0 for three out of the eight launches. I was very devastated that this happened but I will definitely not do that in the provincials!

So yeah! We made it through regionals! Even though it was stressful and just a lot 😵‍💫 it was very fun and it really helped us build and work on our teamwork skills. In conclusion I am very happy with the outcome of regionals and we will build on our feedback and get ready for the next round!

PROVINCIALS HERE WE COME! 🥳

Thanks for reading! Stay posted for my next post! 👍

Scratch That!

Scratch is a coding app where we did Science… WAIT! Why were we doing science in a coding app? Well there is a simple explanation for that…

🚀 DQ (Driving Question)

How can we communicate our knowledge for atoms in a fun and creative way?

How we ended up doing this was by creating a video game in scratch and having the assignment to create a science game of our choosing as long as it displayed our knowledge of the atom.

Scratch

Scratch is a coding software where you can code and create your own video game! In my opinion it is very glitchy and deletes your code and sometimes your entire game… 😬

Scratch does have its plus side as well though! It has tutorials which can give you tips and tricks to make your game better and it also has other games that were developed in scratch that you can try out!

My Game!

I have made a trivia game that tests your knowledge of the atom by asking you questions about the atom and different parts of the atom as well. I have recently learned about the Atom being “uncuttable” and we learned about protons, electrons, neutrons and the nucleus because we had just recently learned I wanted to include those facts into my game.

Coding

Im going to come clean here and say that coding is not my biggest strength 😅! I know quite a few people who have been doing this since they were like 9 and I definitely don’t have that much experience… I did have a few issues with coding and scratch overall most of my issues were the fact that my code would keep deleting. 

Play!

Here is the link to play my game:

https://scratch.mit.edu/

In  case you didn’t understand the game or the controls (even though they are really simple) I’ll tell you again! You just need to click the icon above the correct answer then you will get moved onto the next question. I hope you win! 

In conclusion I feel like scratch was a really good learning opportunity to see what I could grow on and what I could learn more about! I may use it again I may not I don’t know but I know for sure that this game helped me show my knowledge in a new way that I don’t think I ever have before and it was really fun and interesting.

Hope you enjoyed this post! And stay posted for my next one! 👍

We Are Poets And We Didn’t Even Know It!

Our last month has been really interesting… we have just come out of winter break, sports and activities are getting started back up again, we became poets and — did I just say we became poets?! Let me explain… this last month we have started a new project called working with words and its all about writing poems and explaining how they personally connect to you.

DQ (driving question)

How might I write poetry that I enjoy and shows who I am?

🚀 Launch

We first started with some simple and easier poems we had done in elementary school so we could get the hang of it. Such as haikus and similes, but we didn’t know it was gonna get a lot more difficult…

We were shown what we were going to do with all these poems in the end and that was… Make a book of poems! We had 8 poems we needed to have complete and ready to put in our book by the end of the project.

These are the poems we had to do:

We didn’t end up doing the personification poem so I just scribbled it out! 😂

Thoughts on each poem:

Simile – I found this one wasn’t too difficult it was just hard to make things rhyme! I liked how we could be super creative with it as well.

Metaphors – This was one of my favourites! I found this fun and interesting to learn about.

Sound poem – These were absolutely hilarious to read and learn about! Don’t get me wrong it was very interesting to know that poems like that existed.

Haikus – A lot of people said this was the easiest one to make and I totally agree! The hardest part for me was making the haikus have meaning while still keeping to the rules of making them. 

Found poem – You know black out poems like where you get a piece of paper from a book or something (not a song, it cant have rhythm) and you black out everything but a few words and those words are a poem? Thats what a found poem is! And it was super fun to create.

Experience poem –  It was about an experience that really changed our worldview and I found it hard to find an experience like that. I ended up using the time when I broke my wrist.

Imagery poem – The example we were given was “The smell from Robin’s Doritos filled my nose with its cheesy, spicy nuances and its crunch made my mouth water” #Robin the point was the fact that it activated your senses and changed your mood. This was definitely my favourite one!

Self portrait poem – This was our last poem to do and I honestly think this was a great way to further express ourselves in poetry 9/10!

Next Steps

While we were creating our poems we were putting them in Book Creator
and editing them to make them look more eye catching and aesthetic. We also had to add some things off to the side of the page that connected to the poem.

Theme

Theme is basically the overall message in a poem. Like the theme of this poem is “don’t disrespect your parents!” Or you know something like that.  A big rule when writing you theme is AVOID CLICHÉS!!!!!!! These are overused pieces of writing! They are unappetizing. Boring. People want to see YOU and clichés are not you, they are everyone.

example: Don’t judge a book by its cover ( Cliché MAX 🤮)

Auto Biography Page

This was the page that had to be a the beginning of the book to introduce it and make it seem super interesting. 
  This page had to have an about me video (about 1 minute long) a paragraph on your thoughts of the project and a link to your blog post.

The video was the thing that intrigued me most because we have made multiple about my assignments already but this one was different. This was different because it really was completely about you! Not your worldview not your past assignments… YOU! I fooled around with the video for a while till it was completely ready.

The End!

In conclusion I enjoyed writing poetry and I believe I really showed who I was in my poems. I expressed myself in a new way and a more creative way that I never thought I would before. I loved experimenting and discovering and learning new kinds of poetry. I think I will be able to use these skills in the far, far future… 

Let’s Draw Something!

Wouldn’t it be fun if there was just a week of school where you drew the whole time! Well that’s exactly what we did! And Ill tell you about it and what we were drawing exactly…

Getting started

To start we were told that we were going to be experimenting with the app sketches pro.
We had to start by making a grid with six sections and try a different tool in each one, this is to get us used to the way they look and feel to use. We also were experimenting with pressure on the Apple Pencil. With the Apple Pencil you are able to apply a certain amount of pressure and that how dark or how light the colour is.

Calligraphy 

That same day we were tasked with writing any word we wanted including our own name and really personalize it. We were encouraged to use the tools we had just experimented with. The word I chose was “Inspire” I wanted to use my favourite tool to write with the calligraphy pen that really makes your lettering smoother and just better!

3D Shapes

The next lesson we were working on was creating a shape that realistically looks 3D. Some of the tips and tricks we learned were to use darker shading around the bottom and lighter near the top. Then we were tasked with making a robot with 3D and making it fun and personalized.

😮‍💨😭😍🙄🤪- Emojis

has there ever been a time that there was an emoji that you really wanted to use but you couldn’t find one that represented your feeling? Well we got to make our own for those exact moments! I decided to be a bit silly and create a “farting emoji” I mean I would use it! I joined the relaxed emoji and embarrassed emoji and some of my own creativity and created my masterpiece. Be honest would you use this? In what situation? Tell me in the comments!

Design A Logo

We were given the fun task of creating a fake business and making a logo that represents our business. I decided to create a beads business and my target audience was Taylor Swift fans. To start we were given a sheet to fill out on our business name our colours and words that relate to our business. A big one I thought I could include was rainbow 🌈 as in colourful and my business is just that because all the beads are many colours.

Reflection

I have learned so much in this part of our maker learning I have learned more about my IPad my IPad apps and my Apple Pencil. All of these skills that I have developed can also help me in future presentations of my learning in other PLP projects. Another thing I learned though was who I am as an artist on the IPad of corse with all the tools provided it makes things a lot easier and me being someone who was never really strong with art it helped me so much. In conclusion You can always learn more even when youuuu think you are horrible you can always get better and still if you think its impossible there will be other strategies and opportunities to try harder.

Thanks for reading and stay posted for my next post! 👍

We Learned Something From The Past?!

We became medieval art!!!!! Want to find out why and how?

Yep that’s me in the medieval times… WAIT WHAT! No I wasn’t actually in the medieval times even though that would be cool but that is our artwork project and I’ll tell you all about it.

Driving Question

This is the question that drives us through the entire project and this question is normally always the question we always come back too. This projects driving question was “ What can we learn from the past and why does it matter to us today?”. I found this driving question really interesting because there are so many answers to it and I was really excited to learn more about it.

Book of the lion

To start with our project we read an old timey book called book of the lion. The reason our teacher made us read this book is because it’s very strong on worldview (how they view the world). To me honest opinion its basically gibberish and was hard for me to follow and hard for me to finish. While we were reading this book we were having to fill in our role sheets specifically about your weeks reading. There were 3 roles in total and you would have a turn to do each one.

Leader tribute

For this assignment in the project we had to make a leader tribute with our group to a historically significant leader. Me, Elsa and Evelyn (my group) decided to choose Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. We decided to perform an acting skit Gen z version showing the amazingness of Queen Eleanor. Overall we were all very happy with it and it was hilarious! The point of us doing this was because we were trying to show different worldviews and options on women and people not wanting her to be in charge such as her husband.

Artwork choice chart

This was our first benchmark in this project, Where we have to finish this and do it right or we wont be ready for the next steps. This was the base of our medieval art it was like our planning page where we figured out why it would be there and what pictures should be there. This part of the project was tricky but I got through it and was able to carry on!

Medieval portraits

Now that we had a basic idea of what was going to be in our portrait it was time to start putting our face into it. I know it sounds kind of strange but it’s exactly what we did we just stuck our face on an old medieval person and BAM! We were onto the next step…
Next thing we had to do was add all the other pictures into the background, it wasn’t able to just be a collage in the background it had too be a whole scene where things were placed and cropped to fit.

Paragraph explaining my art

How can our artwork help us learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?

With our medieval artwork it shows how they would live their lives and their worldview. This can help me understand myself and my worldview by explaining and showing to me how lucky I am to be able to live somewhere that we have the opportunity to learn things we are interested in.

One of the images in my artwork are a medieval clock artwork to represent time. In the medieval times people cared about time but its not the same as it is now, such as back then time was in morning, noon and night so that they would know when to wake up and what time to go to sleep. Time in the medieval times is not nearly as important as it is now. Now we have to be in certain places at certain times. Back in the medieval times if you were late to a school or lesson you would be punished severely. Today this relates to my worldview by me always wanting to be on time to places I go (even if my sibling will always make me late). Whenever I am late to a sport or to a class my teacher or coach is a bit frustrated as they should be because as they know I have missed learning that could’ve improved me to be better. I am lucky to live where I do for the fact that with my school teacher she is very strict and if you are not on time she may call you out in front of the whole class. This also improves me by wanting to get myself to school on time so I can learn faster and not miss as much. Another thing I decided to add to my image was a medieval map that that is for geography, the map in the picture is very inaccurate. This is because in the medieval times people had just started explaining and had to really know what else was out there. This relates to me because I enjoy travelling so much and if I could have a conversation with the person who created this map in the medieval times I would try to explain how much more is out there. I would really hate a world that was misinterpreted and was harder to learn about. The way that map was probably made was because of the fact that those things were the things that they had been taught or told. Now today things are taught with more evidence and as someone who is very interested in geography I am happy to say the earth IS round. This is important to my worldview because I enjoy being taught things that are proven and are true. Another thing I then put into my art work was an image that represented beliefs. I chose two represent beliefs about punishments and death. All the punishments back then were brutal and some of them were not all exactly fair. Such as if you steal instead of having jail time, you would be strung to a pole and have arrows shot at you and your brain and heart being last so you stay alive to feel the pain. This can relate to my worldview by me seeing how much of a fair style of ruling or society that we live in and that the medieval people lived in. There are many forms of beliefs that the medieval people had such as women can not and should not learn. I believe this is very wrong and as a women today that values learning and is a learner, I see that women have rights to learn when ever they want whether they are 50 or 5. This is also important to my worldview because education is an important part of my world and how I view it.

In conclusion, medieval art can represent so many things and can show examples of so many things and can also show your differences of their life and yours. When you view these differences you may begin to see how lucky you are to have what you have and live where you live.

Take a breather 😮‍💨

I understand how that could’ve been a lot to process so lets just take a break and breathe…. If you really need a break click here.

Sketch and tell

This was one of the last parts of this project that we had to do we had to in a sketch show how societies gain and lose power. In my image I decided to show war and bad leadership being a main reason of how societies gained and lost their power. In the rough sketch I drew I am not trying to say dinosaurs and superheroes were fighting in wars but I was trying to show a battle in a more colourful looking way. This image is important to my worldview because sometimes I can see bad leaders and unhappy followers.

Reflection

Overall in this project I have learned so much about the past and the present! I really feel that all the steps we did take were completely necessary for our end result. I have learned that past decisions can really affect what we do and what we say now in the present. I have also learned that we dont always learn from our mistakes and end up doing something worse or just doing the same thing. This is also very relatable to today because lots of the time we may make a mistake and just keep making that mistake and eventually never learn even when you tell your self “ Siena make sure you are on time for school!” Or “Siena remember peanut butter then it’s jelly!”. In conclusion we always have something to learn from the past and we can decide what we do with that information whether we use it for the better or for the worse.

It Was Weird Then It Got Weirder…

It’s The End Of The World As We Know It

For all the hype you would think it would be more exciting… Hi It’s me again posting about my journey from elementary school to high school. Yeah the transition is hard enough but then you’re told to make a song about it… that’s rough.

Let’s get this party started!

At the beginning of the year in humanities we started with a project based on the outsiders  book. This book has been in the school curriculum for many years and in many schools, even my mom and dads schools in England. For this project the driving question was “How can a text help me understand myself as my worldview is changing?” I still find this a hard question to answer but this book shows so many different worldviews and I compared it to mine…

The role sheets

While we were reading this book we had to do sheets of work that were to 1. To Prove we were actually reading the book and 2. Show more understanding of what we were reading. There were 4 sheets in total, you would do 1 every week for 3 weeks in your group and on the last week when you should’ve finished the book there will have been a last role sheet the 4th one that would have lots of questions about their worldview and how it connects to yours as well. In my group was Daniel J and Emilia W you can check out their blog by clicking on their names.                                                                                          MindNode Benchmark

This was one of our benchmarks (where we couldn’t move on in the project if we didn’t finish this) This was our first time using the app MindNode and it was actually really cool. To start MindNode is basically an app to create a big mind bubble in a more organized way. This Mind Node that we created was featuring our worldview and what we believe in. This helped us organize our worldview and look at others.

Lyrics

After we finished the book the outsiders we got the assignment to craft song lyrics for a song on our worldview. But we couldn’t just write any old song you had to write the song with the same tune and lyrics to the song “It’s The End Of The End World As We Know It” you may have heard it before, your parents may have heard it before but all you need to know is that I kinda despise the song now. Whenever it comes on it just brings back nightmares or filming and creating. After everyone was finished crafting their song lyrics we had to remake them wanna know why….. BECAUSE WE GOT PUT INTO GROUPS!!! We ended up merging all our songs  together and having a great song in the end. We had to craft this song on Garage Band which is an app that you can make cool beats, songs and special effects on.

Music Video

With your group that you crafted the lyrics with you would then have to make a music video featuring your song. One person in your group (in mine that was me) then all the other group members would send pictures explaining how their worldview from elementary school has changed. Im proud of our video very much and I hope you guys will like it as well. Enjoy! Just in case you are unable to view it you can click here! Or just type in YouTube search @sienaj 

Reflection

In this project I really reflected on what world view was and how it affected me and others around me. I also learned how to work with others better and everyone contributing to the final product. With this project I have also learned that I don’t work well with everyone and that’s fine that apart of life you don’t get to work with everyone you want to trial and error. In conclusion this reject was a great start to our many other projects to come and it really helped shape me as a PLP learner more.

Deep Cove Glow

Deep Cove Glow
Choice Post: Ever seen a 13 year old run a successful business right here in the cove?! Okay well maybe you have but now you have seen me! Hey there my name is Siena and this is my first post for my new blog. For my first post we are supposed to pick anything we want to do it on and when I say anything I mean anything. I decided to do my post on my business Deep Cove Glow. Deep Cove Glow (or DCG) is a jewelry business specifically earrings, but not just any earrings, threaded earrings. 

Wait, What Is So Special About Your Earrings?

Well for one they are threads which isn’t very common and they are not just some random earrings that are strange shapes that i think are cool, they are actually inspired by the shapes and colours of Deep Cove.

Where Can I Find Your Jewelry?

You can find my stock at Deep Cove Collective in Deep Cove village in the jewelry section. Though I wasn’t just able to walk in and put my things on the shelves, when I first visited to see if they would stock my jewelry they replied with “sorry we are all full right now we are unable stock your product” but that didn’t stop me from getting stocked. I went back the next day and asked them again ( a bit more sternly) if I could be stocked in their store. Seeing I was pretty persistent they stocked me in the store and my jewelry is there right now and you should check it out!

How Often Do You Stock Your Earrings?

I restock my earrings every month or so and every time I have brand new styles depending on what time of the year it is. For example this summer I had a “Mid Summer Drop” which is basically my summer collection which had peaches 🍑 butterflies 🦋 flowers 🌸 and more. Then at the beginning of the school year I had another restock which was all a fall collection with leaves 🍁 raindrops 🌧️ more leaves 🍂 and a lot more. But I don’t only just restock every  month if I’m ever low down at the store I will always pop in with some of the extras and put them in the store.

Most Popular Earrings!

Pearls
Colourful Humming Birds
Ferns
Daisies
Seastars
Crystal Rain Drops
Whale Tails
Sunflowers

Are Your Earrings Affordable?

Yes I believe they are. they are the cheapest out of all the jewelry at $12.50 while the others usually go above $30. I have compared my earring to other companies that sell this same product for around $25 to $30 i know crazy right here is one of the small companies that also sells thread earrings on Etsy. Click Here!
As you could see they weren’t as affordable so I have done my research and I think my product is reasonably priced.

Are You In The Winter Market?

YESSSSS! And I’m very excited it will be in mid November and you should definitely come and visit and check it out! I don’t know what kind of earrings I will have there yet (or maybe I do) but you should definitely come and see them. I may also get in the spring market which will also be super fun!

Deep Cove Collective Is Such A Small Store, Why Would You Want To Get Stocked There?

Well I wanted to get stocked into Deep Cove Collective because its a very popular souvenir shop and its in a very popular tourist destination. Another reason is that the cove has just been redone and more people will be there than ever (especially during summer) and all of this combined makes it a great place to sell my earrings.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my small jewelry business that I hope will get bigger someday. Come check out my stock at Deep Cove Collective! And I’m trying to find a sentence I can say at the end of every blog post I do maybe something like “Stay Posted For My Next Post 👍” See you next time!