Over spring break I’ve been reading Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein, this wasn’t the only book I could have chosen. Some of my other choices were also Unbroken and All The Light We Cannot See the reason we have been reading these books is because they were related back to WWII in some way or another. I finished also most two weeks ago now, we have all decided to write a book review. Whole writing this book I tried not to put out any spoilers, sorry if I did I wasn’t trying to. I hope you injoy my book review.

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth E. Wien

This book starts in 1943 England and France. Maddie and her friend Queenie (verity) or sensational team a pair of unlikely best friends one is a pilot for ATA (air transport auxiliary), the other is a Scottish aristocrat spy with the way of words. This book starts with a confession: “I AM A COWARD”. And it comes from Queenie a female spy captured by the Gestapo in France. Under torture, she caved in and spat out codes and airfields locations. She will do anything, anything to avoid being interrogated again by von Linden if this means coughing up everything she knows about the British War Effort. Her story mixes first person and third person narratives. The first comes with the immediate horror, the guilt, the fear, her torturers observing her, no food, no sleep, her ankles tightly bound to the chair, an iron rail tied against her spine and the certainty that her best friend is dead and soon she will bee too. When she describes her torture, her bruises, her broken heart, her fear and her guilt, I understand her. I expect I would crush under pressure I would probably leak every spec of evidenceust to get out of there. no one can ever convince me that a person who cracks in under torture is a
good spineless coward. Elizabeth E. Wien is an American writer best known for her young adult historical fiction. She stated first by writing a diffrent perspective on the King Arthur books. She also wrote a book called Rose Under Fire which is one book I would love to read. Even though Code Name Verity was really hard for me to read I got through it because I thought the friendship that these two women had was very strong and kept me to read the rest of the book and push through me falling asleep. I thought Code Name Verity was one of the better books that I’ve read this year but I don’t really read so it’s probably the only book I’ve read this year.

That was my book review on Code Name Verity, thanks for reading today’s blog