Who’s at my Table

A while ago before spring break, we were given a writing assignment called Who’s at my Table. The assignment started off by discussing in class what it really means to be a leader. To understand this, we launched into the assignment I mentioned before Who’s at my Table.

How this assignment works is we had to pick 5 people who inspire us in some way or who are a role model in our lives. These would be the people who would metaphorically sit at a table with each of us. We then wrote a paragraph about each of these people describing why they are an inspiration to us. Each paragraph had to be 9 sentences long and also follow the guidelines of writing that we have learned so far this past year.

When we first got this assignment I was away at basketball provincials so I wasn’t a hundred percent sure what the assignment was about. After some clarification from classmates, I better understood the project and why we were doing it, as well as I had some ideas about who I would pick to sit at my metaphorical table. I started off picking Malala and Michelle Obama as my first two inspirational people. Their names came to me right away as they are both strong women who stand up for what they believe in. After this, I picked Steph Curry , Nelson Mandela and  Doris Allen who is the founder of CISV.

I chose Malala because she inspires girls all around the world to learn and go to school. She promotes education for all youth in all countries. She fights for what she thinks is right and that’s what I love about her and why I chose her for one of the people at my table.

Michelle Obama has done so much to raise awareness for poverty and malnutrition to try and make the world a better place. She is one of my biggest role models in so many ways and gives so many people confidence to stand up for what they think is right.

Steph Curry is also one of my choices because when he was younger he had dedication and motivation to work harder and not give up which is why he has so much success now. This gives me and so many others, the motivation to try my hardest in anything I do and never give up.

I chose Nelson Mandela because he fought for equality all of his life and this is something I strongly believe in. He spent time in prison for standing up for what’s right which was not right. Through all the pain he went through he never gave up and this is what is truly inspiring about Nelson Mandela.

For my last choice, I chose Doris Allen who is the founder of a non-profit organization that promotes global peace and friendship. She started the program after World War Two because she thought if the children of the world could come together it could help promote peace. She is a huge inspiration to me and has taught me to learn more about different cultures through these camps.

Here are the paragraphs I wrote:

After we wrote the paragraphs we then had to make a collage photo of each of us with the people we chose sitting at a table.

Here is my first draft of the collage:

Here is my final draft:

This writing assignment has taught me about what it really means to be a leader as well as an opportunity to write about my role models that inspire me. I am proud of the work I have done on this project.