SLC 2017

Here are some highlights from my portfolio of the learning I have done so far in Grade 9

EXAMPLE OF WORK FROM FIELD SCHOOL – THE PAUL ALLEN PROJECT 

Paul Allen Blog

We were given a person to research who had a crazy idea and we were asked to study Paul Allen. I enjoyed this group project for the Seattle trip because I like to film and edit. I improved my editing skills and tried some new techniques. For example, I was really proud of how I worked hard to line up the action movements of the drone footage with the beats of the music that accompanied the video.  I think it made the video more professional and kept the viewers’ attention. Here is a clip from the video. If I could make this project even better, I would have interviewed Paul Allen and included this in the video.

EXAMPLE OF CLASSROOM LEARNING – SCRIPTWRITING, VISUALS AND VOICEOVERS  

Matterhorn

I think that I have made a huge jump in the quality and productivity of my scriptwriting and voiceovers this year.  For example, when I did the Industrial Revolution Railroad project, I must have tried over twenty times to make the voiceover sound good and match the visuals in Explain Everything.  I kept practising and slowly improved,  Next, I worked hard on my Frank Sinatra Explain Everything project and created more eye-catching visuals accompanied by a longer script and more fluent voiceover. Then for the Fantasy video, I improved my video editing skills and the quality of my script and voiceover.  I think it helps that I can hear myself speak when I work on these projects and I can keep evaluating, editing and improving this work. Here is a clip.

DESTINATION IMAGINATION – GROWTH MINDSET

Destination Imagination Blog

I believe that I showed a growth mindset this year because I felt much more comfortable performing in front of an audience.  Last year I was nervous to perform but this year I was as cool as an ice cube. This year there was a problem right before we performed because the weight-bearing structure was too heavy and we had to rush to strip it to 24.99 grams to meet the weight requirement of 25 grams. Unfortunately, this weakened the structure but we kept our cool and our group performed the presentation the way we rehearsed and it went very well. Overall, the project was a great experience in teamwork, creativity, scriptwriting, planning and implementation.  I’m looking forward to Provincials and doing even better with a stronger structure.