TPOL: Grade 11

Introduction

Pol Declaration

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.” 

Statement of Learning Intent

Walking into grade 11 was a real wake-up call. Now that I am a senior student, I feel much more responsible for my own actions and choices. Something I’ve struggled with is my ability to speak out in front of the class. As a grade 11 student, I’ve spent about 4 years with my peers and have gotten to know them very well. However, I still struggle with a lack of engagement in class conversations, mainly because I find it challenging to take in information from teachers unless it’s written down. My ability to use advanced grammar has improved alot, which I view as a significant accomplishment for me, especially as a learner with dyslexia. Combining ADHD and Dyslexia with what is ultimately a communication based program is not a great mix, but I believe I’ve reached a point where next year I will have built my confidence back. Lastly, I aim to improve my ability to be prepared for class, primarily by arriving on time and being well-rested. Over the years of being in PLP and school in general, I’ve started to feel tired and unmotivated, with this feeling growing in late grade 10 and getting worse since, and I want to solve this issue by ensuring I get a healthy 8 hours of sleep per night and by keeping on track of my homework. This concludes my statement of learning intent.

TPOL

Communication and Collaboration (Humanities)

This year, communication and collaboration were a huge bucket list item for me. Throughout high school I feel my social confidence has been dropping, which can be especially seen in grade 11 this year. I am not totally sure why this is happening, however I feel it may have something to do with me being a bit burnt out, and as a result my quality of work has been dropping therefore making my confidence diminish in my ability to communicate my ideas to peers and teachers verbally. This was seen in BCFP and Humanities, however I have focused mainly on 2 Humanities project for this subject, specifically my Government Type Project blogpost and my Oppenheimer Type blogpost for this as these projects have helped me ask more questions and connect to the content we were learning more.

Oppenheimer Type Project 💥

Government Type Project

I felt I did a great job in terms of the content I produced; it met the criteria and my group engagement was a lot better than what was previously demonstrated. Though I did feel I could have taken the peer critique a little more seriously, I did end up doing a great job on our presentation, and the trivia I made got great feedback from the audience. In conclusion I felt I have made great progress with group engagement within this project, though I would like to improve on my ability give meaningful peer critique and also utilize tutorial time more.

Engagement (Humanities)

When it comes to overall engagement, specifically peer critique and communicating with peers, is something I could participate in, but not to full extent. For Engagement, I chose to specifically focus on our Fear Factor project as this project encouraged me to ask more questions regarding the work we were doing, and gave me room to experiment, and ultimately include something I am passionate about (like audio) and express that in my final product. My final product did end up being a podcast, and I emphasized sound design a lot in the end. In this project we went through rounds of peer critique, which was something I didn’t really take much interest in until now. Ultimately, the reason I took more interest in peer critique is because my actual end product related something that I am passionate about. My passions are something I am trying to include in my work moving forward as it helps me maintain interest in what we are learning about, and enables me to think more creatively as a writer.

Fear, what about it? 😨

Improvement wise, I felt I could have asked the teacher more questions, utilize tutorial time, and raise my hand more. Moving onto the exhibition (which we will talk about more in the agency section) I was going through the passing of my grandma, and this took a major hit on my confidence and work ethic. However thanks to the teachers and their support I was able to create one of my most favourite exhibition projects I have ever made.

I would also like to mention our RC update that we had regarding our Fear Factor project, and how the RC meeting has helped me improve not only engagement wise, but as an overall leaner in PLP. As seen in a comment in Showbie, the feedback I received from our RC update genuinely helped me ask more questions and take our learning more seriously.

Agency (Humanities)

Let’s connect back to our year end exhibition, which is something I felt I really really improved on agency wise and is something that I worked really hard on. I was a 1 person show, and I had to create, revise, and plan out an entire exhibition project on my own. I have always worked best on my own, which is one of the reasons I can be quite in class. As shown at the exhibition, I felt I did a fantastic job at taking the work into my own hands, and I ended up staying on task and planned out a checklist on Things to help me meet the deadlines for the project, and to make sure that I was meeting the proper criteria.

Conclusion (Whats next exactly?)

What are the goals for my last year of high school?

Overall, I have improved throughout grade 11 in terms of communication skills and overall engagement. However, there is still work to be done, and I plan on continuing to improve on the goals I set previously. You may think this is a lazy decision and wonder why I don’t move on to different goals, or re-think my current ones. Well, after high school, I plan on going into live sound, which I will explain more about below.

Thats cool, specifics?

So, why focus on communication and engagement? Well, the world of audio and live sound is a communication-driven industry, especially in live sound. Starting from grade 9 to now, my passion for audio has been growing rapidly, and as a result, I have been updating my learning plan based on the career options that I have highlighted, with the main one being audio. You can see this passion start to make its way into school starting in grade 9, where we did our documentary project.

As seen in PLP 11, there is still quite a bit of work to do to be where I want to be, with the main goal being to ask more questions, followed closely by classroom engagement. Asking more questions is a simple yet important goal; however, focusing more on classroom engagement would greatly enhance my ability to speak up, share ideas, and be confident with my voice. All of the goals I have set out are not only important for my success here at PLP but also for the career path I have chosen. This is something that is really important to me, and previous goals like learning to become a better writer and being more organized in PLP have proven to be successful outside of school as seen in my portfolio I made for audio related work (still a work in progress).

In conclusion, I am excited to further utilize the communication-driven program PLP is to help accomplish my goals and career path I have set out. What is still proven to be so incredibly true, is Confidence Is Key.

0 comments on “TPOL: Grade 11Add yours →