I Lived Happily Ever After

While I’m writing this I’m reminding my self that there is only one month left of school. You get one month left of blog posts from me and then I’m gone forever, so enjoy this one.

As I said in my last post, lately in Maker Time we’ve been covering Health and Career curriculum. This assignment is focused on the ‘career’ portion of the subject, and let me tell you, things are about to get interesting…

When I think about my future, I imagine what I’ve dreamed of since I was a kid – a bohemian style house, Volkswagen van, golden retriever, travelling and having a family. I also think of my career, but I haven’t really ever imagined a set career I might have one day. I was excited to take the career compass quizzes on Work BC, but I was totally shocked when I got my results from all three quizzes.

I’m a creative person when it comes to artwork, fictional stories and music. I love things that are fun (who doesn’t) and I don’t ever think I’ll last a sane day sitting in an office cubicle. Basically every suggested job included working in an office cubicle. I didn’t know whether it was by accident or not so I took the quizzes again, and I got the same results.

I was confused but I went with it, and continued on to look at the resources for my blueprint. I looked at different jobs that weren’t necessarily suggested for me, like physiotherapists and biologists, and they personally seemed a lot better than being an accountant.

Looking at the costs of living calculator, I was shocked! Everything from owning a house to saving for my kid’s school was a huge expensive. I reflected on our Scimathics Game of Life unit and remembered how crazy those expenses were, and this really proved how everything adds up.

As I swarmed through the WorkBC website, I was adding different aspects to my Blueprint. The blueprint was where all of my job data, quiz results and research lived. I liked the blueprint idea because it was like a rough sketch of my future. It was fun to use and all of the resources were really cool.

On my blueprint, I had saved a business guide for high school students that want to create their own business in the future. I’ve always had a dream to start my own business, both my dad and step mom own their own businesses so I’ve kind of had an inside look about what it takes. My dad has owned Perimeter Drainage for nineteen years, a long with the companies that bounce off of it, like his bin company and others. My mom owns K9 Brite Bark, another super successful company that was all started by her. Both my parents explained the successes and hardships of owning their own companies, and it was a great insight about knowing what I should do if I decide to start my own as I grow up. I visited some resource pages for creating your own company and it was interesting to see what was already offered to me as a high school student.

Overall, this Blueprint assignment really gave me an insight about how I’m going to have to work hard to assure success in my high school career, university years and future career. It excites me, but also scares me a bit!

Anyways, I can’t assure I’ll post a career update on here when I make up my mind, but I can say that I’m now inspired to do something great with my adult years.

We also were assigned to create a ‘life line’. It was a timeline of ten important things that had happened in our life so far, and then we added five things we wanted to happen in the future. I started with my birth, obviously, and then made my way through my little brother’s birth, moving from place to place, starting school and my sports, my parents divorcing, moving to the island next month, etcetera etcetera. This part of the assignment allowed me to reflect on what had made me who I am today, and it also made me think about how if these events, both good and bad, hadn’t happened I wouldn’t be where I was in my life at that very moment writing the timeline. That’s crazy to think about!

The next portion of the assignment was to make an iMovie about a ‘fairy tale’ version of our future. We had to create a storyboard first, I used ComicLife and Paper53 to create this. I just included my audio and an image of what would be happening. For the video, I used both iMovie and Explain Everything. I made edits on Explain Everything and imported them into iMovie for the final product.

I think the video displayed how I want my future to turn out in a brief couple minutes and even though I didn’t have much time to make it, it turned out well. If I could change one thing it would probably be to spend more time on the video.

Overall, I think this career reflection was a very interesting process. I learned that I could definitely succeed in an engineering environment which I would’ve never previously guessed, I learned about costs and wages and how they impact us, I learned how to set goals and also how to reflect on my past optimistically.

Until next time…