Blue Sky ’17

Blue Sky is officially over!

This years Blue Sky was different than last years in a lot of ways. This year we had to create a product from three prototypes that solved a problem for a specific age group. My How Might We question was “HMW use air compression to help heal injuries”. It was targeted towards tweens, and I really like how it turned out.

For my product, I created a splint for emergency injuries. Taking inspiration from the AirCast, I made an inflatable splint from two air seal bags for a broken leg. I also created an iBook to show all the protocol and instructions for the splint.

I began with the splint design. My first prototype was a blueprint made on Paper 53. I put all the details and materials into the blueprint so I could use it when I ended up making the physical product.

My second prototype was the actual product. I used two air seal bags from Mountain Equipment Co, seal clips, and an air compressor valve and cartridge to create it. It ended up inflating, but it leaked so in my next prototype I fixed it. It was also suggested that I included a bag so it was portable for tweens to take on trips with them.

My third and final prototype was really cool. It inflated super well, didn’t leak, folded up into a bag and I also created an iBook to go along with it. The iBook had a QR code attached to the bag that could be scanned to redirect the person straight to it. The iBook was an instruction manual and also gave protocol for if someone were to break their leg.

​​
The exhibition was really fun and I think it went well. A lot of people were impressed and suggested that I took my idea to Search and Rescue as a concept.

We also had to create a “designers journal” for Blue Sky this year. We are submitting logs from our Blue Sky and our teachers will be posting it on iBooks, so stay posted!

Bye!