TPOL (my grade 8 learning exploration)

(TPOL) transitional presentation of learning. This year is coming to a close and twice a year we do what is called an MPOL or a TPOL. I am going to talk a bit about some of the work I’m proud of that I have completed this grade eight year. 

This year in grade eight we had an outline the teachers had set up for us. This was the outline we followed. 👇

Content/inquiry – worldview

Focus – storytelling

Medium – Still Image 

Message – Presentation skills

Medium – Still Image

~Work I’m Proud Of~

Advertising Unit

Right off the bad, when I thought back over the year I knew right away that my advertising unit was definitely one of the things I’m most proud of this year. When I talk about my most proud pieces of work, I’m not saying my first draft was incredible and that was it. I made multiple drafts to create an outcome that I was very proud of. 

Starting the unit, the first ad I made was my Oregon one. This was my first draft.

This unit showed some of my best work because I was able to take critique well and use it to make my outcome of work better. I was also new to the aspect of getting the chance to improve my work after I’d handed it in. My first draft of my Oregon ad, I had my classmates and teachers critique things about it which I took into consideration when I made my second draft. 

Each time I took the feedback and critique I got, I was able to make it better every time.

Until I had a piece of work I was very proud of. 

Content / Inquiry- Worldview 

Reflections On Light

We learned a lot about worldview this year and one of the things that I feel changed my worldview was the unit we did in scimatics about light. This was an interesting unit for me because it was hard in the beginning until something clicked and I just got it. I understood what the diagrams were showing and how all the light rays traveled with the three laws. We learned a lot about light rays and how they traveled.

~Work I Found Difficult~

Door Project 

The project we got given in math with Ms. Klausen was where we had to increase the surface area of our classroom door by five. The twist was that we had to use 3D shapes we would make that would get pasted on the door.

Focus – Storytelling 

Colonizing In A Tempest

Colonizing In A Tempest!

Growth Mindset

The Power Of A Growth Mindset 

Growth Mindset was one of the units that I enjoyed because we were getting taught about something that I feel helped me a ton in school and out. In this unit I loved writing about people that I know who have a growth mindset because I got to talk and write about people who I aspire to be like. I chose to write about Chris Hatfield an X astronaut and Mikayla Shiffren a ski racer.

They are two of my idols because they aren’t shown as your average superhero’s who have no fear. They both talk about how they are scared but go for it anyway. They also show a Growth Mindset because of how far they’ve come and what they’ve overcome.

Message – Presentation Skills

Destination Imagination

DI was definitely a huge part of my year that showed my growth as a learner. It was a big part of my year in Maker and even though I couldn’t participate in the actual day event. I still learned a lot and had so much fun throughout the whole process!

~Work I Found Fun~

Colonizing In A Tempest

One of the units we did nearing the end of this year was in humanities called colonizing in a tempest. We learned about the play by Shakespeare called “The Tempest” and preformed it in a tableau. However we took the play and preformed it in New Frances time period. We had to take a story that already existed which in this case was the play, and turn it into something a bit different while still telling a clear story. 

What Areas Can I Improve And How Will I Change That For Next Year?

My biggest areas for improvement are my organization and communication with my teachers. Next year I will strive to be more on top of my work and prioritizing what needs to be done it what order. I am going to do this by talking to my teachers more often especially before and after ski trips. I am not going to be afraid to ask for help or an extension when really needed, this way I can produce the best work possible and still be able to pursue my sport.

This year I have had the chance to do things a bit differently in school, like getting critiqued and being given the chance to make my work better, to the point where I am very happy and proud of my finished product. This has not only allowed me to grow as a learner in so many ways like the things I mentioned above, but it has aloud me to grow as a person. 

I’m finding myself even outside of school such as in my sport, being able to take what I have learned in the classroom, to the real world. Other things such as anxiety towards school related things like public speaking or peer work hasn’t necessarily decreased, but this year I have learned to keep going despite being nervous. 

Why Am I ready To Advance To Grade Nine?

My teachers help me learn and be a better version of myself everyday, and my classmates are the ones who go on that journey with me. We have grown close over the year and learned to help each other grow and learn. They are the reason I am ready to move to grade nine, because together we can do anything and the only limit is our imagination.