Concussion blogpost

Do you know what a concussion is? Well even if you do I am still going to explain it in the most simple way I can. A concussion is a brain injury. Not like a skull break or a bruised head, a concussion is something that only affects the brain not the skull. It is when the brain has moved around quickly in the skull bashing the inside of your head. Your head is like a bowl of jelly, it can move around slowly in a bowl but if you knock it around to much it will move quickly from side to side, this is what happens to your brain. Once you have a concussion it is like an energy crisis in your body. Suddenly you get very tired and the sense in you body don’t work correctly. You get dizzy and can’t stand up right, your vision can go all blurry, you are suddenly vey sensitive to light and sound, you can feel nauseous like you are going to throw up and there is just a constant headache that you can’t get rid of. All the energy flows out of your brain and you can’t get it back, so your body won’t work properly.

The reason I am talking about concussion is because I have just got off one I have had for 4 months. It also gives me something to do was I still can’t do a lot, but let’s continue on to my next topic. The first week or two of having a concussion is the most boring thing that you have ever gone through in you life. You just have to sit in a dark room all day with no light or sound. After these first couple of weeks it’s time to try and get back to normal. The number one most important thing is to stop anything your doing if your symptoms get worse. If you continue to push your symptoms and ignore what you are feeling it will make your head worse and you will be stuck doing nothing for a much longer amount of time. The second most important thing to do while you have a concussion is too eat the most healthy brain foods you can find. This includes stuff like salmon, blueberries, walnuts, cashews and the best quality meats and food there is. Another thing I found really helpful was to make smoothies everyday, one because they are very healthy if you put the right stuff in and two it gives you something to do if you get board and can’t do anything.

The third most important thing to do is record how you are feeling at the end of each day. When you go the doctor he/she will most likely give you something called a symptom sheet. This is to record your symptoms daily on a scale of 1-6. Even if they don’t give you a symptom sheet, it is a good idea to make your to see if the stuff you re ding is helping at all. Finally I think it is very important to stay in touch with your friends and teachers or people that you know. If you have a concussion you should be away form work and school so your not gonna see a lot of your friends. By staying in touch with friends I dint mean text them but see them in person. This just gives you something to do an keep updated on all the latest stuff that going down.

I’m not going to tell you what you should be doing to get better while you have a concussion because a concussion is different for every for every person. The doctor your seeing could tell you something completely different from what I would say. The one thing I will say is to do as much as you possibly can without making anything worse in your head. This is now the end of my blogpost and I hoped this helped a little bit about learning what a concussion is and what to do while you have one. I will probably be making another blogpost on how to keep entertained while you have a concussion so keep an eye out for that one.