Tpols!!

Welcome to my Tpol (transitional presentation of learning) post. This is pretty much a different name for SLC. In this I will be answering our driving question. “Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?” To answer the question I am going to reflect on my growth as a learner, on my work ethic, habits and areas for improvement. I am also going to provide evidence of teamwork, responsibility and high quality work as a PLP learner.

This was probably the most challenging year for me at school because last year I missed four months of school. So my growth this year had to really pick up. One of the projects I most enjoyed this year was the metaphor machine. This was one of the first big projects we did in grade nine. One of the reasons I really liked this project is it was a team effort. Team projects are always more fun than the solo ones. This project also needed a lot of hands on work and that is also something I love to do. In this project my group researched a lot about the Easter revolution. When we were finished with research we created a timeline to show what events happened and when during the revolution. This helped with our final part, which was to build the machine. This had to show the whole process of the revolution from start to finish and the best part was that we got to build it ourselves. I felt like this project is a great example of strong teamwork as the whole team worked well together and we made all the decisions as a group. Revision was also a large part of this project because at every turn there was something to fix and make 100% better. Although I enjoyed this project a lot, we got a lot of feedback on areas we could all improve and I tried to apply this on later projects.

When I did my SLC in march I set a few goals and found this helpful for the rest of the school year. My goals were to read more books, revise my work more and to ask more questions in class. Two of these I think I did really well. I read several books in these couple of months and I asked a lot more questions in class than I was asking back then. The most challenging goal for me was to revise more work. There was a lot of work in this last term of school and with that comes some revisions. However every time I got feedback on an older piece of work there was another thing that I had to get done, and then another right after that. I am not a fast worker so this was very challenging for me. Last year I never made it this far and I think that is the most challenging for me as this was new territory. I hadn’t made it this far in high school yet so I was a bit worried as how it would work out. I think that there was too much work given out and to make it better work you have to spend more time on it and then you have less time for other work you have. This was something that I found frustrating with the work I have. I also think a big part of this problem was having all the PLP and Scimatic classes in one day. This way we get lots of work on one day and then on the next we either have a lot of things due or there is not a lot given to us. Just the amount of work that we got on one day was just too much. I think that next year a lot of this could be solved by improving my communication with my teachers. I started to ask more questions with them, but I think I can continue to improve more with better communication.

For the work I am most proud of I chose the take your kids to work day portfolio post. This was something that wasn’t assigned by the PLP teachers because it was something that every kid had to do. But instead of making a sheet on this day we got to make a Blogpost instead. Because mine was pretty much the best thing you could do I had a lot to write about. I wrote over 2,000 words and included lots of pictures and links to videos. I think that this is one of the best posts I have done and I am very proud of it. In the future I will try and base more of my posts off of this one. One of the things I have learned this year is that I need to improve my blogs more with videos and links as this makes it more entertaining for the reader.

As work that shows growth I am choosing the presentation I did at the beginning of the week called the things I carry presentation. This was something that had been going on for a couple of weeks and my group was the last to go. This presentation was new to us in the way that we had to use an entirely new tool on the iPad called keynote. We had to figure out how to use it and it didn’t take as long as I thought it was. I thought this presentation went really well when I did it and I had fun doing it. If you compared this presentation to something I did earlier in the year like my metaphor machine or the first blue sky I think it was way better. I think I sounded more interested, had better hand movements and just the presentation itself was way better. I also had a lot more fun doing this than with other presentations as it was something to do with me.

Overall this has been a lot of fun and a lot of work. There have been a lot of challenges and good times. I have learned many things, not just in school with history and math, but also outside of school with things like organization and communication. I can’t wait to use my new skills next year in grade ten. There have been a lot of things that I have learned and I’m sure there will be a lot to come. I’m not sure what grade 10 will hold for me but I’m very excited and I can’t wait to see what it will have in store.