Camp Capilano

We had only been at school for 1 day and the PLP class was already going on an overnight field trip. This it wasn’t too far away from school and it only took us about 20 minutes to get there. The main point of this trip was to get the new people accustomed to the other students as well as the teachers. The other part of this trip was to introduce us to something new for the whole school year, podcasts. Podcasts are the theme for this school year and a lot of our projects will be based around it. This trip saw our first few projects into the world of podcasts.

It was a short overnight trip, we left on Thursday morning and got back Friday afternoon. The first place we went to was the Capilano dam. As soon as we got there we had our first project to do. We had to create an opening for a reality TV show where we had to show ten different characters with different traits that were obvious enough to see in a short amount of time with the character. This project was to test how well we could portray different types of people with no words in a very short time on camera.

My groups Intro for reality TV show

https://youtu.be/OieVjn-idNQ

The next project we had was to create just a plain audio file for intro to a reality TV show. We were in the same groups and we could have done the same people as before or do something completely different. My group chose to do something different. For our intro we decided it would be cool to try and get one person to walk through a house and interview her family. We had one person be the main character and the mother and then she would introduce different family members like her husband and daughter. We also had to have 10 people in this one as well. This was more of a challenge for us because we had to really think about how we would portray the characters in different ways inky through their voices.

My groups intro to reality TV show (audio file)

The final project we had to do was create a four minute podcast on a story that had changed something about our lives. We had to pick something very small that later on had a greater impact on us. My group chose the story of how new hype clothes and different styles affected one of our group members. The project took a lot of work and at the end of it I was happy with our work even though our story telling could have been a lot stronger

My groups podcast

That was it for the projects but through this we were getting to know the new people in PLP a lot more then we already did. We did projects with them and talked to them and went places with them. The whole class bonded very well and we were all very happy at the end of the trip. It was a great way to start off the new school year and now I think that everything will be a little bit easier because we now know our classmates and team members very well.