Mpol blog post 2021-about my ways of learning

Hey everyone welcome to my Mpol blog post! I’m Xander and through this first semester I’ve been with mr gross in scimatics, and Mr Harris and Ms Maxwell in Humanities. Through this first bit of my grade 9 year, work has been a little difficult trying to keep track of a numerous amount of assignments and projects through all 4 of my courses. Just the work alone has made it a little bit overwhelming, but the thing that’s made it a little bit too much has been the sports I’ve been playing at the time. I’m a very athletic guy and at the moment I’ve been playing basketball (as well as a few others have) and baseball at the same time. Having all those activities at the same time does not mean I simply cannot do my work, it’s just that I have to find that balance between the sports and the work.

I’ve had the problem to leave my work to the very last minute and end up having a basketball game or practice at the time when I plan to do my homework, then that assignment ends up arriving late or at the worst I’ve worked on it, the deadline comes, I try and keep up with the new assignments, and the one I’ve been doing ends up being forgotten about and not handed in at all. At the times like now where the semester is ending, I have piles of work to do and let me tell you it’s not the most fun thing in the world because I have to get everything done by a certain day and my grades will not reflect very well on that if I don’t end up getting it done. Another issue on top of that is sometimes I do the work completely fine and on time but I forget to hand it it when I finish and end up submitting when I get to school the next morning making it show up late. That because most assignments are due at 9am and I hand them in at 9:30 when I sit down in class. To improve on this or prevent it from happening I have to get things done as soon as assigned, make sure I’ve done a job I’m happy with, and most important of all it’s handed in. More talk on this at the end of the meeting, I’m just going to quickly talk about some evidence of my proper learning. 

Two projects id like to quickly look back on, one being humanities and the other being scimatics, are the revolutions on trial project and the game of exponent laws. There’s probably better options I could’ve picked but I think these two best reflect my personal way of learning and best evidence of my learning.

For the revolutions on trial project we had to research of revolution of the past, gain a bunch of knowledge on it, then end up going to “court” as ether defence or prosecution. Part of building that knowledge was to read a book about revolutions, but it was made into a fun way by making all the characters animals, it was animal farm. I used to read so much and loved the challenging but fictional book like Harry Potter so reading animal farm was quite fun as well as educational for me, so yeah I like learning that way. At the end of the project we did that court case and I ended up being somebody who gave an opening statement to the jury, which means the paragraph I wrote has to be firm and easy to understand for everybody which is one thing I feel like I do well.

For the game of exponent laws I feel like that was one of my better projects in scimatics cause it’s on the math side of the course and that’s definitely on my strong side of my knowledge, science I can confidently say is not. What we did for that project is go deeper on how exponents work because we’ve learned about the basics back in elementary school, and build a fun board game. That board game was meant to be tricky because in includes math and exponents but was also meant to be fun in a way that people enjoy playing it. Creating the unique ways to enterprate the math into the game, I fell like I did well on doing that and my grades were positive for that project.

That’s all I have for my evidence of learning as you can see in some of the photos and in what I just explained, and also some of the things I can do to stay on top of school, thanks for listening.