Edgar Allen Poe and Zoe W. present…

Welcome back! Today’s post is one I’m very excited about sharing with you. It is inspired by the great author Edgar Allen Poe. It entails the first two acts of Romeo and Juliet from the perspective of the Friar. I hope you enjoy!

I am but a man. I see, I am, I have. I have much sympathy for those who simply are, or worse, those who aren’t. This is a story of those who are, and those who will refuse to be. The holy state of crumbling Verona is where I hope to occupy your mind. Two families, much alike in dignity, have been engulfed in a treacherous feud for as long as those who are, have been. The kin of these families- the righteous Montagues and the unbalanced Capulets- fall deep deep into loves omnipresent void. What follows is truly a classic example of when those who aren’t, get in the way of those who are.

I start my tale of woe, with a man. He is, as he will be, a prick. He, seeing a Kinsmen of the opposing family, shares an idea with his peers. He goes up to the men. He takes a breath, and lets out a string of “chilling” insults. The one who isn’t will always seek to prove he is one who is. His search leads him to a compelling conclusion. He is not a coward, so he will fight. But he is not an intelligent man, nor a man of god like I am, so he will do it irrationally- and without thinking of the consequences. 

I sit up in my peace- watching those idiosyncratic idiots do what they will. I hear screams and cries, but I feel not for them. They are those who aren’t. We need no longer them, although their actions do tend to be entertaining. 

Clop, clop, clop. It must be an army! Alas, Tis’ the prince of our fair Verona. He screeches at the villagers that they must stop feuding or face the consequence of the house leaders being sacrificed. I giggle deep down, for I have the concept of a power vacuum kept in mind. I imagine that would be just as- if not more entertaining as the current events playing out in front of me. 

Once the madness comes to an unfortunate end, I bring you now to the ball. I see the kin of the  Montague house, Romeo. He is love struck- with a gorgeous idiot. 

I seem to remember her name was Rosaline. She has attended my service only once before, but I find her a miserable mind.

Romeo, oh Romeo. He is one of those few brave souls who is. In a small part, I take credit for this. Although the boy is a bit dull, he has feeling and opinions. I have an element of respect for Romeo that I find in few. I must say, when he read me his poetry, I wept internally. Not for finding any emotion within me, but for the fact that it was wretched.

I hide, with my own mind, and my own, very strong drink. This will be a long night of observation.

I feel it is my duty to know all, see all, hear all. I am a man in the highest order of god, and my mind speaks to the one we call god. I know all, so he can know all. I am but his messenger, to inform, and occasionally, his hands, to dole out revenge. For tonight, I am but a bird, perched up high, watching. 

Romeo and his gang of wonky minded individuals, enter. I am, not to say, surprised he is here. It is not his ball, it is the capulets, but certainly he will refuse to let it stay that way. He is on a mission tonight, to forget the Girl of His Poems. 

After a brief and boring confrontation from a Capulet kin, he goes about his time. Tonight has been oh so dull so far, and I am on drink THr3. I will leave soon, if nothing of interest comes about. Oh, but what is this? The daughter of the Capulets seems to have caught Romeo’s gaze. The fair lady is only 13, but seems to think she is an adult. I am thankful I have stayed. 

Thank you for reading this weeks post, and if you have any feedback, make sure to leave it in the comments section down below!