Where Are We ?

Hello and welcome! Another week has gone by, and so it’s time for another blog post. This past  week, we have been putting the final touches on episode two of our podcasts. I’m really happy with all the progress I’ve made from the first episode, and the trailer, to now. This is definitely the best episode I’ve created so far and I’m excited to keep working on improvements for the next one. 

My podcast centres around my Great Grandfathers’s journey throughout the Second World War, and told by my grandfather. Both men come from the Baltic state of Estonia, and I’d like to take this opportunity to go deeper into some of the places mentioned in my podcast episode.

First up, Estonia. Estonia is a country that shares its borders with Russia and Latvia. Germany is not far from Estonia, which put the country is an uncomfortable position during WW2. The official language is Estonian and the capital is Tallinn. It was only restored to its independent status in 1991, and joined the EU in 2004. With only about 1’000’000 citizens in the country, it’s a pretty small, quaint place now a days. Estonian independence after World War One gave the country a strong sense of national identity. 

Next, Augsburg, Germany. It’s located towards the south of Germany, and it’s one of the country’s oldest cities. It contains about 146 square kilometres, with almost 300’000 people residing in the city. It’s not far from Munich, a large city in Germany. In 15 BC, it was founded by the Romans. It was bombed in World War Two, and near the end of the war, it was where my grandfather was born!

Finally, Thunder Bay, Ontario. It’s located in Canada, and about 100’000 people call Thunder Bay home. After my Grandad and his family moved to Canada, they also called Thunder Bay home. He really enjoyed his time there, but he moved out when he turned 18 to go to medical school. 

I hope you enjoyed todays post, and I’ll see you back here soon for the next one!