This year our driving question was “How are you going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year?” I had to show examples of my work that showed learning, “failure” and understanding.

• Draft 1
  • Draft 2
  • Draft 3
  • Final Product
  • Oregon ad draft 1
  • Draft 2
  • Draft 3
  • Draft 4
  • Final Product

In Humanities I decided to reflect on the business ad project (from Deep Cove and Oregon). My drafts were horrible at the start but gradually got better from what I learnt. I learnt that simplicity is key and ALL ADS NEED to have a call to action. I also learnt that colours play a big role in the looks of an advertisement, for example complimentary colours will attract the eye and will be more effective. I gained experience in photography and the lighting that makes a good photo. I was really impressed by what I created and my final Oregon ad draft reflected the long nights and early mornings it took to complete this project. Throughout this project I learnt that I actually have a liking for the process of creating ads and it is a possible future job route.

In Maker, something that showed my growth as a  learner was the Student Blogging Challenge. I progressively got better at posts as the weeks went on and I learnt lots of new tips. Something I learnt during this challenge was if you never give up and keep trying you will eventually complete your task. I learnt how to properly do a blog post with tags, categories and a good reflection. I thought I made in-depth reflections and expressed my feelings on the topic. I could of improved on amount of design (pictures, link, etc.) I put into my posts. I also always left until Thursday night so I need to work on procrastination. I challenged myself with hard optional tasks that took lots of time and effort. I made many mistakes and errors but I shook it off and continued. I am really proud of all the work I did and I think I got smarter from the student blogging challenge.

In Science, my plate tectonics book was a really big part of my learning. I put lots of effort into my book and I am proud with how it turned out. I used all of my notes and extended research into my book trying to make it as kid like as possible. I asked big simple questions and answered with simple vocabulary. I included lots of visuals and a few interesting facts to make it more eye catching. Something I could have improved upon was the story part of the project. We were supposed to have a story to go along with the book but I couldn’t incorporate it into the book. Another problem I faced was procrastination and without proper deadlines I forgot about the project until the last two weeks. I spent lots of hours in a week to complete the project and if I started earlier I would have been less stressed. I am going to work on my time management and procrastinating less as one of my goals and if I tell myself the benefits of doing the work earlier, it may help my procrastination. 

In Math, we did many different units but the Pythagorean theorem stood out to me the most. I knew how to do everything except the process of finding the square root of a non-squared number without a calculator. This was hard because at the time my calculator wasn’t the best. So I went searching for a formula that worked and was easy. After much searching, I found what I was looking for on this website. This formula worked almost every time and I didn’t need a calculator. One problem with this formula was that it was really messy and when I tried it out the equations would be everywhere. I challenged myself because I didn’t want to choose the easier route with the calculator and instead chose the harder one.

In PGP, one of my recent goals is to procrastinate less and get things done earlier. In the goal setting book I put my goal into the goal ladder of form 8. I really hope to procrastinate less because it takes the energy out of me and even now I am doing work really late on this blog post as I started really late. If I reach my goal I can do more of my own hobbies and sports more often without much stress.