Transitioning into the following year we have to do something called a tPOL (transitional presentation of learning). We are tasked with reflecting on each of the PLP subjects providing strong evidence on work ethic, work habits and areas for improvement. We needed to reflect on revision, teamwork, responsibility and production of high quality work since the mPOLs.

This year for Humanities, we did many projects throughout the year but I thought Colonizing in a Tempest was the most important. I learnt a lot during this project about New France and the Tempest. I really enjoyed learning about all of the history from the first contact in the New World to the Treaty of Paris. I thought my group worked well together making a narration script and lines for the characters. I was really happy that I completed the active readings in class while still producing quality work. I thought I understood what we were really learning because I went over the information a lot so I could have an easier time while creating the tableau. I participated in discussion and I shared my opinions and understanding openly. When presenting I thought I pronounced my lines very clearly and loud. I thought my writing skills really improved over the course of the year but I think I can still improve on the speed that it takes me to write.

Maker was really fun, stressful and challenging for both DI and Blue Sky. Both of these projects had their ups and downs but I think so far have both have ended on a positive side. I learnt about teamwork in stressful situations, how to cope with problems and find solutions. We went overboard with our idea and purchases in DI but we learnt in the end that DI is more about what you can create with free or inexpensive items. For Blue Sky, I took this into account so I decided to make something all electronically (Xcode, phone call recording and an ad). I am going to even use a textiles project to represent the truck for the service. I worked extremely hard on both these projects, staying up late and waking up early to finish. I like challenging myself so the project is meaningful to me. I aim to get the best quality finished product possible when doing my work. Something that I need to improve on is that I sometimes set my expectations too high and I can’t always complete what I would like to do in the time constraint that I have. I need to sometimes work on a smaller project within the larger idea to be able to complete it within the assigned time limits.

PGP was an amazing journey this year from productivity to goal setting followed by the 7 Habits. We learnt many new ideas, strategies and techniques that helped us become more productive students and set us up for success in life. To tie everything up for our year end project for PGP, we were tasked with making an artifact that we could put in a time machine and send back to our past self. We had to create a compelling and convincing artifact that would give us an advantage in life. Throughout PGP, I learnt a lot about myself and my work habits. I learnt that I can accomplish things that I never expected to do in a short period of time. I had many areas of improvement that I wanted to complete and with the new mindset I had, it made completing them easier. However, I still have lots of goals that I am aiming to do, such as writing faster but still producing quality work and improving my perimeter basketball skills.

In Math, we learnt a lot of new skills and concepts from percents & ratios to algebra & linear equations. Through these units I have learnt not only how to complete the equations but also how to use the correct method. In linear equations, I used a simpler method but because equations got harder and bigger, I learned to use makeshift methods. I was open to do a little more work to learn how to do it later on. I want to do calculus later on in high school so learning this skill is going to be really helpful. We had to do a volume project for our volume unit this year. We were given a lot to do and I procrastinated starting it for so long. After a month, I just decided to start and finish my project in one day. Turns out it was way easier than I expected and it felt amazing to have that done and over with. I was one of the first people to finish the project even though it took me a while to get started. I was really happy because I used habit 1 for one of the first times and ever since that I have used it many more times.

Science was really interesting and I learnt a lot about Eyes & Lenses during the second half of the year. I was very intrigued when dissecting the eye ball, testing different lenses and learning about different wave lengths. I always payed attention to Mr. Thomas when he was speaking and I participated in active conversations. I completed my assignments early so I wouldn’t have to do them later on top of all the projects in other courses. I spent lots of time and effort completing the assignments, trying to have the best quality work possible.From Science I have learnt valuable lessons and where I need to improve. One thing I learnt was self management of time deadlines. Not having deadlines seemed amazing at first because you didn’t have to worry about your work at the time. However, once you got closer to report card time it started getting stressful. From this I learnt to set my own due dates and just tell myself if I do it now then I won’t have to do it later. I could have improved my productivity because even though I started the assignments earlier, sometimes I didn’t finish them until much later than I expected.

This year I think I have really improved as a learner and I learnt new skills that will help me move forward. I learnt a lot in every subject and I put my full effort into my assignments. I would  like to continue making things that I enjoy but also keeping inside the time constraints of the project. I am really happy that I was able to do PLP this year and I am excited to see what comes in the PLP program next year.