Hello fellow Vancouverites and those who are interested in Vancouver, past present and many possible paths for the future. So am I, but to understand where we’re going,  we must first know where we are, and part of that is where we have been. So let me take you on a journey.

Most of my class went to vicatoria, so if you’re interested in B.C’s history in general, you should take a look at some of their posts, like  The people who stayed, myself, Caleb, Taylor, and Kiera were given a specific spot to research and express how it has contributed to Vancouver and the world.

I researched the LionsGate bridge, or the First Narrows Bridge if you prefer. I found out about the Guinness Family who made it, the land that it stands upon, the circumstances and reasons to build, how it was built, and basically any question word that starts with a W. I was surprised how interested I actually became, Ive always loved the bride as it is a wonderful sight, but understanding brings things into a whole new light.

The Lionsgate Bridge during construction

I made a plan, and bussed to the bridge after school one day with my filming partner Taylor. We got a tasty meal at the Park Royal Mall near by, and got there about midway through golden hour… turns out that isn’t enough time to film the whole thing, and most of the clips had cars rushing beside us… so it was loud.

For filming we learned the rule of thirds, which is a technique used by neerly all visual artists of all sorts. It is  a technique that is said to bring the “wow factor” into your drawing/painting/photo/video/movie… You do this by dividing your sceeen/paper/stage/etc into thirds and putting the most prominent features like skylines or people in the sections.

Rule of thirds practice -Taylor

I made a plan, and bussed to the bridge one day after school with my filming partner Taylor. After a lunch at the nearby Park Royal mall, we headed out to the bridge at mid golden hour (sunset). Turns out… that isn’t nearly enough time to film… AND most of the clips had cars rushing past us the whole time. It was loud and cold!

That was was my first video, but I needed to fix the sound quality and graininess, and cut the shots more. I re-shot another day, and finally got it done…  totally not wayyyy too late…  nope, not this guy!

In the end I know that I have learned about Vancouver’s history, how to make a traveling guide video, the rule of thirds, and many important lessons.