✨DRIVING QUESTION✨

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

✨POL Declaration✨

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

✨CHOSEN CORE COMPETENCIES✨

✨GOALS✨

✨ACTIONS✨

Projects This Year:

Gold Digger

“Ology” of Apology

Romeo, Romeo… Are We Still Talking About Romeo and Juliet?

Power of Imagination

Juno Beach

Lies and Incongruencies 

Fails: 

– Planning Ahead 

Growth:

– Revision 

– Collaborating/Teamwork

– Stress Management

This year, we completed many Humanities projects. Although I have learned so much from all these projects and I would love to dive deep into each of them, I believe the project where I demonstrated the most improvement was the “Power of Imagination.” 

✨Driving Question✨

“How do Disney theme parks shape and influence the cultural, economic, psychological, and social experiences of visitors?“

Oh my gosh, there’s so much I want to say about Disney World, but I don’t know where to start. So maybe, let’s begin with a little context. You know Disney princess movies? Well, 5 year old me loved those. So much that I now want to work in animation. (Well, there’s a little bit in between that, like when I was obsessed with imagineering and uh… my anime/manga phase… errr, we don’t talk about that.) So you can imagine my excitement when we had a whole project dedicated to Disney (including going to Disney World????!!!!!) That’s like 10 year old me’s dream come true. 

Anyways, our group decided to split up the different sections of the documentary to edit. I obviously chose the Enchanted Tiki Room, because only I have the power to listen to the song on repeat and not go insane (kinda like how I can listen to “All I Want for Christmas is You” on repeat for 6 hours during Christmas.) 

I really enjoyed the editing process of making the documentary. 

I found that I wasn’t too stressed during this trip. Normally during long school events, I get really tired emotionally. Also, eating during school trips stressed me out a lot, because of my allergies. I think the thing that set this trip apart was that I was really able to plan out everything before going (not just because we went to Disney World, though that was definitely a bonus.) I could plan meals and check if they could kill me beforehand. I was really prepared and it helped a lot. 

Because I wasn’t stressed out of my mind, I was able to really connect with my friends. I felt pretty comfortable and confident in myself. I really pushed myself far out of my comfort zone.  Although the plane ride there was a little bumpy… we don’t talk about that… the whole trip was an amazing experience. 

Another project from Humanities that I’d like to talk about is the Saving Juno Beach project! 

✨Driving Question✨

“Why is it so important to preserve the Juno Beach Centre?”

For this project, we had group discussions to rhetorically analyze texts. During one discussion, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and participated to share my ideas. I will admit, this was pretty hard for me, because I struggle with voicing my ideas. However, I’m proud of myself for doing it! I hope to make this something I do more in the future!

This project also really emphasized the “power of revision.” So, backstory time. As a writer, I have the tendency to… edit as I go along, which I admit is painfully slow, BUT I MUST FIX THE M I S T A K E S. In the end, my “first draft” isn’t actually my first draft.

Since we were showing the steps of our revision in this project, I decided to leave the issues alone for once. Though I had to face the terribleness of my first draft, through the feedback I received from my peers, I actually came up with new ideas and techniques to fix the mistakes. When I finally finished my final copy, I was proud of how much it improved!

Projects This Year:

Creating Opportunities From Balance

Marketing You

Finances

Fails: 

– Engagement 

Growth:

– Confidence

– Self Awareness

I found this class to be pretty difficult, but not in terms of work or time management. It really let me think about my future, which I’ve been thinking a lot about lately, and let me take steps towards that future. 

Driving Question

”How can I effectively market myself to employers?”

Before this project, I didn’t really think about getting a job yet. However, this project made me think about it, in particular, how much I don’t know about it. I’ve never been too good at marketing myself to people, even talking to strangers was a challenge. Although I still struggle with it, I believe I’ve gotten a lot better through this class. 

Projects This Year:

How do I make effective personal design choices?

How might I use design and content to influence others for good?

How do I use the design cycle to achieve my goals?

Fails: 

– Sticking to Plans 

– Ambition

Growth:

– Self Management

– Creative Thinking

✨Driving Question✨

“How might I use design and content to influence others for good?”

Through this project, I learned a lot about self management. Since there weren’t many restraints, besides having 60 minutes of podcast, I found that I was able to have a lot of creative freedom. However, I faced the challenge of managing my own project. 

I’ve tried making personal projects on my own time, but I never really achieved my goals. I will admit, I struggled a lot keeping up to my own expectations while making my podcast. Through this project, I think I’ve discovered why I’m so bad at management. When I schedule, I don’t really understand the effort and time each step will take beforehand, and I create unrealistic expectations for my work and myself. 

Though it got stressful at times (like when I’m listening to my recording and I hear my brother’s playing Nintendo in the background), I still feel like I had a lot of fun with this podcast! Before we got started, I wasn’t too into podcasts and I didn’t think they were for me. However, I’ve found that I really like this medium!

✨DRIVING QUESTION✨

Reasons: 

1. I’ve learned a lot about myself this year and I think I’ve matured a lot

2. I can balance my work and classes a lot better

3. I want to continue my education, learn new things, and develop new skills

4. I’m prepared for the new challenges that await me next year

5. I want to graduate please