Month: October 2023

Those are some human looking books?

Hellooooo gorgeous internet people I have returned after a long time, did you miss me. Anyway welcome back to my blog, there’s a reason I’m writing this ,and it’s not because it’s my passion, but it is because I have completed another project in my humanities class. Without further a due let’s get into it.

This project was all about Canadian identity which gave it the name “This Is Us 🇨🇦” our end goal was to make a human library. You are probably thinking “what the actual hell is a human library” and I don’t blame you because I had the same thought. Well the human library started in Denmark in the year 2000 as a safe space for people to understand the experiences of others or express themselves and their story to those interested. The name human library may sound confusing but when it comes down to it they are calling the people with unique experiences books and those interested readers. If you are interested in human libraries I recommend checking out their website. Here is the link. https://humanlibrary.org

Now that we know what we will create we… Didn’t really do anything about it. However we did sort of prepare for how it would be if we ourselves were the books. One of the stepping stones leading up to the final product was to research a topic and become experts on it, then we would present a one minute elevator pitch about our topic and answer some questions. My topic was all about living as an immigrant in Canada.

I decided on this topic because as and immigrant in Canada I thought I would have a fun time learning more about why and how we are treaded different. So I made my own driving question “How are immigrants treated different to Canadian born citizens” once I had this question I made some need to knows to build up my knowledge toward key categories but you don’t need to see those. We did the elevator pitch and I can’t perform it for you but here’s my notes.

So I decided to research into the experience of immigrants in Canada and in doing so I learned many things that I didn’t know before. Found a few websites and asked my mum about her experiences. I made a driving question which was “how are immigrants treated different to Canadian born citizens” and then I made some need to knows so I could narrow down my topic to some specific points. I first thought about how minority immigrants would be treated different or discriminated against and after looking into it I was surprised. First of all they aren’t treated the same by the government, first of all if they aren’t citizens they can’t vote, they have additional tax on property, many educational qualifications and accomplishments aren’t recognized or valued and access to healthcare isn’t free for those that aren’t permanent residents. Then we start to get into general discrimination like different backgrounds and histories may affect the way people are seen and sometimes they are blamed for something they didn’t do. I was shocked to discover refugees are treated different and heritages and other religious beliefs are neglected or ignored. Getting jobs is also more difficult, as past experiences and qualifications are forgotten or invalidated as I stated before, however I didn’t say that many immigrants have to redo and complete college courses to acquire titles that they already earned. And all of these things don’t apply to immigrants of a Canadian background. I believe this is unfair and should be changed but as a child I have no authority to change anything.

After this we invited in our friends or family to come be the books in our library. I think it went well but look and see for yourself.

Well that’s it everyone. This was a shorter blog than usual but this was a short project so I guess it works out. I learned a lot about Canada and it’s history, but also I learned about myself during this project and I’m glad I did that. Thank you for coming to my blog and (hopefully) reading through it, I know I was very wordy but I hope it was worth it. Bye 👋