SLC: Episode 1

This is my Spring SLC, where I will explain what I have learned about myself this year. In this post, you will see examples of work that I have done, that will back up my points. It also contains 3 goals that I have set out for myself, and how I plan to achieve them.

The Project I am most proud of:

I am most proud of my Start of WWI Blogpost. I worked with Tom and Jackson on this project, a project that would explain what sparked the start of WWI. We decided to make a puppet show, a creative way to show our work.

Two of our puppets

I am proud of this project because we spent so much time working on it, and I think it turned out really great. I learned a lesson from this project too. I learned not to bite off more than I can chew. If I had to do this project again, I would have thought more about what is feasible for us to complete. I would not have planned for the project to be 20 Minutes long.

2. A project that demonstrates my growth as a learner:

I think the project that best demonstrates my growth as a learner is the Manhattan Project Squared. This was my first project in PLP, so it was really like an introduction to the program for me. One of the things that was so amazing about this project was the field study that accompanied it.

Interviewing a former Hanford employee

In groups of 5, we had to make a video that had something to do with the Manhattan Project. On this field study, we visited the actual Hanford Site, and were able to interview people who had worked at the Reactor. Until this project, I had never done this type of hands on learning, so it really opened my eyes. I realized that there are other ways to learn than just memorizing a textbook. This project and field study really grew me as a learner.

3. A project that demonstrates my growth mindset:

Over the course of the year, I have tried to make two projects with the app Explain Everything (number 1 and number 2). It is a great app that helps you make cool animations and videos. However, this app takes a certain degree of skill to use. Since I am new to the iPad, I do not yet posses this skill.

However, instead of giving up and deciding to never use Explain Everything again, I am determined to work hard until I can create great projects with the app. This is because I look at this situation with a growth mindset, which drives me to get better.

Three goals for the remainder of the year:

1.  Ask for more opinions on my work

2. Don’t be such a perfectionist

3. Manage my time better so that I do not have to rush assignments

*Note: In this post, when I named a piece of work, there is link to it. However if you missed them, all the links are here as well.

Puppet Show

Manhattan Project Squared

Explain Everyhthing #1

Explain Everything #2