What is a Cult?

Recently in one of my classmate’s facilitation Friday, a debate arose on the topic of cults. People were debating what the definition of a cult really is and what separates most cults from most religious groups. There didn’t seem to be a definite answer to this, so I decided to do some more investigating until I could find a more concrete answer. 

The Moonies, a cult which still survives to this day

So, what separates common religion from most cults?

To begin my research I first needed to know exact definitions of a cult. Of course there are many different definitions, but eventually I settled on these:

A cult is: “A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.”

However this definition does not account for the secrecy with which most cults operate. So I would write the definition a little more like this: “a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister, who operate with a fair amount of discretion.”

A mass suicide led by cult leader Jim Jones

I then started researching differences between cults and religions. Many people stated that cults are harmful whereas religions are not, but I disagreed with that. Not all cults are harmful and there are many harmful religious orders, such as religious hate groups. 

I even found one article that claimed that religions receive tax breaks while cults do not but this argument seemed a little basic and I wanted to find something about their practices that differentiated religions and cults. 

Often regarded as a cult, Scientology is actually officially recognized as a religion

Eventually, I came to a realization: We see churches everywhere in most societies, but where do cults practice? I wasn’t too sure. I also realized that most religions have public information via websites and other medium but cults are harder to find out about than that. 

I then began to research the secrecy of cults and I came to the conclusion that what separates  a cult from a religion lies in the degree of secrecy that operate. 

Here is my paragraph proving this point:

Religion is everywhere. From the church down the street to the Vatican to online sermons, it is hard to find a place without religion. But what separates common religion from becoming a cult? It’s simple: Cults rely on secrecy and discretion while religion is dependant upon openness and transparency. Think of most churches. They usually have informational pamphlets as well as signs promoting upcoming services and events. In addition, most religions’ holy texts are readily available and their core beliefs can be found online. In contrast, most cults are more private about their views and actions and practice their beliefs discreetly. Churches can be seen on many street corners, but no one really knows where most cults operate. For example, many people often consider Scientology as a cult but this is a misconception. Churches of Scientology are very public and the holy texts of Scientology can be found easily. Most Scientologists welcome the media and appreciate attention towards their beings. Cults however, shy away from the media and prefer to stay in the darkness. When Jonestown was visited by American reporters, Jim Jones was mortified and his followers ended up killing the reporters before they could return to the the United States. It is this type of secrecy that separates most cults from commonplace religious orders and keeps us assured that our local church is not a harmful sect. 

Resources:

What is the definition of a cult?

What makes a cult? | Rick Ross | Opinion | The Guardian

The Seven Signs You’re in a Cult – The Atlantic

Cult – Wikipedia

Difference Between Cult and Religion | Difference Between

What’s the difference between religions and cults? – Quora