Learning to draw (Carr)

Hey people!

Today, for this blog post, I will be showing my journey through drawing.  A few weeks back, we got separated into two separate groups, one focusing on photography (Herzog), and the other one focusing on drawing (Carr).  I got picked to be in Carr, so I learnt many new techniques and secrets for my Apple Pencil and iPad.  It was really fun learning perspective and all sorts of things, and will probably use it whenever I draw.  After I finish this, I will be moving onto Herzog, so look out for a future blog post.  Without further ado, let me begin.

The main app we used was called Sketches Pro.  It was an app with many cool features ranging from pens to layers.  The first assignment we I had to do was to create my name using the wide variety of pens and to use pressure to create either a darker or lighter colour.  It was interesting experimenting on the pens, some were light and thin while others were more darker and thicker.  Personally, I really liked using a pen called the watercolour brush.  I liked how it was slightly transparent and was quite thick.  When I finished creating it, I used the marker pen as the outline, coloured the text in the water colour brush, and spray painted the outside.  I think the work I had created really showcased what I learnt while in Carr.  Here it is:

After completing that, we learnt how to sketch doodle.  Sketch doodling is basically creating a series of drawings and text instead of just note taking.  I think this skill is more useful because you can compress more info by using pictures and your not limited to only using text.  We watched a video Ted-Ed that shows us how to take proper sketch doodles.  While we watched, we were tasked to try to sketch doodle while watching the video.  I found it quite hard watching while doodling on my iPad because it was going at a rapid paise without giving us any time.  Eventually I completed the task and I think I did a good job.  In the future, if I am having a lecture in University, I can create a sketch doodle instead of writing it all out.

For the next assignment, we had to draw something that was 3D with shading included.  I decided to chose a cup because I find cups more simple and easier to create.  We learnt how to see the different shapes in complicated objects so that it would be easier to draw out.  In total, I drew out 17 different shapes ranging from circles to triangles.  After drawing the shapes, I added minor details and started shading it.  I used the water colour for the cup because it is semi transparent. For the shadow I used the marker because it was I felt that it looked nice with it instead of using the watercolour. 

The next thing we did was learn how to use perspective.  We experimented by creating a 3D room with a person in it.  2 key terms that I learnt was the vanishing point, the point in the picture where the land disappears, and the horizon point, the line that separates the middle ground between the background.  When we finished the room we moved onto trying to create a landscape of somewhere you have been to.  I chose a national landmark in my old country (a mosque.)  I used all the skills that I learnt previously to create this drawing varying from shading  to using shapes to simplify the photo.  Overall, I feel like I did a very good job in recreating the photo.  

For our final project in Carr, we had to create our very own logo for a business of our choice.  I chose to create a mattress company because my parents use to own a furniture company.  We also zoomed with a woman named Chloe Devine.  She is a graphic artist and alumni of Seycove that designs logos for clients.  She gave us some tips like to keep it simple and to start of with a mood board.  Due to time constrictions, we could not create a mood board but instead created a design brief.  I found that this assignment was much like the advertisement project we previously did.  I named my brand Sealser because my mattresses are as soft as seals.  My plan for the logo was to have a seal on top of springs with random accessories to signify that my mattresses had a lot of functions.  I also made it so it had a blue background because it looked kind of dull without it.  Here it is below:

In conclusion, I learnt many new techniques to create drawings.  Something I think did well was how didn’t give up when I was having a hard time.  One time when I was using Sketches Pro, it suddenly crashed and all my progress was deleted.  At first I was really annoyed and felt like giving up but I kept going.  One things I did not do as well was how my drawings are usually more messy.  My lines are usually not straight and I think I could improve in that aspect.

How this helps in the real world:

If I do not know how to draw, a lot of different jobs, such as architecture, will be restricted.  I also learnt how to sketch draw, which is really useful because they are more faster than just not taking.  I also know that colour can convey emotion, like if a painting is black and white it is most likely sad.

-Chris