Comic Cells!

Hello all!

In Scimatics, I have been designing and creating my very own comic.  It was fun illustrating each drawing and reminded me of the project Argh Matey because it was quite similar.  I hope you enjoy!

Driving question:  How do cells and disease interact?

At the start of the project we did mind maps to review what we already knew.  I did not know much so I only added 2 per branch.

The first thing we did was learn about the different cells.  There are 2 main group of cells, prokaryotic and eukaryotic.  Prokaryotic cells are only found in single cell organisms whilst eukaryotic cells are found in bigger things such as animals and plants.  Prokaryotic cells tend to be much simpler and not have a nucleus’s whilst Eukaryotic are the opposite.  I learnt a lot about biology in this part of the project.  After finishing, we did a Khan Academy test which I did pretty good in.

After finishing that, I created a disease wanted poster.  At this point, we had already chosen our virus and was starting to research on it.  I chose rabies because I searched up cool diseases to learn about and it was on there.  I used some of my skills that I learnt in Maker and I think I created a pretty decent poster.

We then started our final products.  I named my comic Rabies on the Loose because the protagonist’s later calls his company that.  It is about a man who owns 3 Rottweilers but 1 of them gets into a fight with a fox and gets rabies.  The dog bites the owner making him not feel very well.  He decides to go to the doctor but does not think it is very important.  He has to queue for 1 hour until the doctor eventually gets to him and diagnosis him with rabies.  He is cured just in time and starts a movement against rabies to help research and fund people who are in need of treatment.  After 2 years, his other dogs who now also have rabies jump their owner again creating a cliffhanger for the next comic.  It depicts and accurate representation if you were bitten by rabies.  I think that my story and illustrations were pretty good.  If you would like to read it, click the link below:

Comic cells – Chris

Curricular Competencies:

Project End MindMap:

Now that I am finished the project, I added onto my project start mind map.  I made sure to add all the things I know a lot more cells and diseases.

In conclusion, this was a very interesting project where I learned a lot of new information.  It was fun creating each illustration and making the plot for the story.  If I did this again, I would add more panels so that it would be longer.  Overall it was quite fun.

-Chris