TPOL… Grade 9 Reflection

Good afternoon!

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

It’s already the end of grade 9, and it’s time to reflect on what I’ve learnt, and what I still need to do.  As I progress into grade 10, I hope to meet new people and improve my work.

“You don’t learn from experience; you learn from reflecting on experience.” – John Dewey.

Driving Question:

How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?

Humanities:

Projects:  5 Themes of Geography, Full Steam Ahead, Storm the Barricades, Rise of the Frankenstuffies, A Case for a Nation, and Dulce et Decorum Est.

Humanities was the main subject in PLP during my grade 9 year.  I had it for both semesters and I think it shows my growth in the most obvious way.  During the start, I feel like I sometimes got distracted from the people/things around me.  This caused me to sometimes not know what we are doing, and sometimes end up doing the wrong thing.  However, after the semester change, I feel like I have made an effort to stop getting distracted.  My main method to do so is to not respond/interact to the person/item distracting me.  This allows me to be more focused and stay on task.  After the semester change, I made an effort to do so which allowed me to be more focused, and on task.  I also enjoy helping out people that don’t know what to do, and answer questions they have.  During the MPOL, I also wished to improve my presenting skills.  I feel like this was improved during the previous exhibition, I planned out what I was going to say, and prevented myself from saying filler words.

On the other hand, I still wish to improve in fully pushing myself.  I usually finish my work to my learning plan goal, not pushing myself even more.  I always aim to get a rainbow, never trying to do anything more, such as trying to get a flex.  Next year, I wish to improve even more, pushing myself further to earn better grades.

Maker:

Vibrant Videos, Your First Film, and the Stop Motion Viral Video.

Like in science, I unfortunately did not have this class this semester.  The previous goals I had for maker is still pretty relevant.  I try to make an effort to compare work with my peers, however, they usually say they don’t know what I can improve on.  This results in me not really knowing what to do, so I end up just handing it in as it is.

Science:

Handle with Care, Life as we Know it, Essential Elements, and Exciting Electricity.

Even if I am not doing Science 10 PLP next year, I still have things I want to improve on for normal science 10 next year.  I feel like I had accomplished my previous goal for science, staying on task.

Core Competencies:

Communicating

I enjoy talking and discussing ideas with different people.  This allows me to talk and meet new people relatively easily.

Collaborating

I feel like collaborating and communication are quite similar.  They both require me to communicate to different people, to complete a common goal.  I like working with other people, and don’t mind working in random groups made by the teacher.

Creative Thinking

I think I am a pretty creative thinker.  I feel like I am able to make pretty good ideas for projects, which leads me to accomplish my learning plan goal.

Critical and Reflective Thinking

Personally, I think I am good at reflecting, I can take feedback and will try to improve on what I need to do.  Not only that, I am currently reflecting on my past grade 9 year.

Personal Awareness and Responsibility

For this competency, I think I am responsible and usually aware.  Like mentioned before, I feel like I have matured over the grade 9 year, slowly growing as a person.

Positive Personal and Cultural Identity

I feel like I am a positive outsource to my peers, I usually try to cheer up friends in sad times, and will encourage people who are trying to accomplish something.

Social Awareness and Responsibility

I think I am socially aware of the people around me.  I know when to tease my friends, and when not to.

In conclusion, I feel like I have accomplished my goals.  I do not feel burnt out and tired like last year, and I feel like my work right now is pretty decent.  However, I still think I could push myself further and aim further then my learning plan goal.

Overall, I feel like my past grade 9 year was pretty successful, I learnt new things, made things I was proud of, and things I could have done better in.  I hope you enjoyed!

Some work that I am proud of:

How has the geography of the West shaped who we are?

Thanks for listening to my TPOL, have a good day!

-Chris