Welcome to the very last post to be put up on this blog. In this post, I will dive into the ideas of self-improvement through books, and talk about my experience reading and presenting a self-improvement book.

Over the course of our most recent project we set out to answer the question; What can we learn from authors about achieving personal and professional success? My answer is, We can learn from authors about achieving personal and professional success through looking at the diverse and unique perspectives given by the variety of genres, and ultimately variety of authors. Over the next few minutes of reading, I will explain to you both my experiences in this project and how I got the answer to the driving question.

To start the “Pages to Practice” project everyone selected a self-improvement book which they would have to read, review, and present about. After having my first choice taken by Jonathan Hsaio (Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill) I landed on reading “Start with Why” by Simon Sinek.

Here is a little bit of information on Simon Sinek. Simon Sinek is a renowned author and motivational speaker who has made a significant impact in the world of leadership and self-improvement. With a focus on inspiring individuals and organizations to lead with purpose and authenticity, Sinek’s insightful books such as Start With Why and Leaders Eat Last have captivated audiences worldwide. Read more here on my full author bio of Simon Sinek

Simon Sinek’s “Start with Why” is an exploration of the importance of purpose in leadership and business. While the book covers conventional ideas such as the significance of vision, mission, and values, in my opinion, it is Sineks approach to breaking down these ideas that make this book special.

Like I said it is the unique examples that Simon uses to support his thesis that makes this idea special. From the idea that people don’t buy what you do, but rather they buy why you do it, the role of biology, and strong examples such as Apple, the Wright brothers, and Martin Luther King Jr. But most importantly the idea of the golden circle.

(source)

The golden circle explains how starting with why is at the center of everything that you do, and as I argue, the foundation. Why is the core belief or purpose behind what you do, how is the process by which you achieve your why, and what is the tangible products or services you offer. Companies like Apple start from the inside and work outwards, offering an explanation for why they do what they do before how they do what they do, and how that leads to a more loyal customer base. However, it is important to note that you need all 3 layers of this golden circle. Clarity of why, Discipline of how, and Consistency of what.

Unfortunately, it is not all sunshine and rainbows with this book. When researching for this book Sineks TED talk was always brought up as it is one of the most viewed talks in the history of the platform. After both reading the book and watching the TED talk I would say save your time reading this book (read something else), and watch the TED talk. It is the TED talk where I believe the presentation of the ideas of starting with why shines through the most (not to mention Sineks presentation skills). if you would like to read more about my thoughts on this book check out my full review here.

After researching, reading, and reviewing “Start with Why” PLP 12 was split up into 3 groups of five to present in a 30-minute panel discussion on our books at the exhibition. Seeing as “Start with Why” is all about leadership I was in the Motivation and Success in the workplace.

Through our discussion, I have not only deepened my understanding of “Start with Why” and its key ideas, but also how other books can offer a diverse range of perspectives. At the end of the day I believe that all of these books have flaws (some greater than others) and having the natural discussion that my group had led to a more full understanding of improvement, where one book might lack another one makes up for it.

We can learn from authors about achieving personal and professional success through looking at the diverse and unique perspectives given by the variety of genres, and ultimately variety of authors. each book offers a different perspective on a different problem, and through discussing multiple books we can create a more holistic view of how we can improve ourselves because each author offers a different answer to our driving question. In the case of Simon Sinek and “Start with Why” the answer is just to start with why.

To end it off I give a special thank you to my groupmates Jonathan, Annie, Keenan, and Jordan for making the final exhibition one to remember!