Dylans Blog

Hopefully

A Explanation Of Wood Burning!

Hi and welcome to my blog again this is my 3rd geek out post (a challenge I’m doing) today I will explain wood burning a bit more in detail than the other post on.

wood burning or pyrography as it’s formally called is a art form where someone uses a poker, a super hot pen (I think there’s a few names I just like this one) and burns a dent into a piece of wood which then makes a dark line or a light depending on how hot the pen is and how deep the burn. Because of how it works if you make a mistake you can’t really fix it because it’s engraved so if you do you have to restart of the back of the wood or on a new entire piece of wood which is kinda fun especially when you’re almost done the piece.

here’s an attempt at me describing how it works with a drawing I made with the photo from the other post as an example. One thing worth noting though is that the piece in the drawing is painted. Normally pieces don’t get painted because all the shading is done with heat and paint can get in the dents and shading, but I wanted to try painting it. That’s all I can think of for a more detailed explanation so goodbye for now!

You can find the person who got me into wood burning from an art class here. I even made the goose in their class over the summer 

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1011535775/kudzu-studio?hl=en

(Here’s a fun challenge see if you can find the goose that I made on their instagram)

Previous

My first geek out post!

Next

My Art Process

1 Comment

1. Anders

Hi Dylan,
    I love the art showcased and the visual accompanying it. Remember to check that your sentences start with a capital and try embedding your link to flow with your writing. I would like to hear more about what you were feeling while creating the art piece and using headings to separate the sections.